Mites on Centipede?

Auzelous

Arachnopeon
Are these mites on the head part of my centipede? If yes, then how to remove or anyone knows a solution to get rid of it. Can molting of my centipede help getting rid of these parasites?

Attachments

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
yea thats quite a lot

not sure how to deal with that, if it were only a few i would probably just leave it ...

most methods i can think of require knocking it out, and removing them manually, which can be quite dangerous for the centipedes as well...

wrong forum by the way, this belongs into the Myriapod forum, better have a moderator move it, that way the relevant people will still see your post once its older

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
You should remove the mites manually; drown it first. Also, please do not use cocopeat as it can cause impaction

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
You should remove the mites manually; drown it first. Also, please do not use cocopeat as it can cause impaction
Coco peat/fibre does NOT cause impaction.
The only time coco fibre will enter into the stomach of anything is when the husbandry is incorrect.

1. Not the correct food for millipede/centipedes and it's consumed as theris little else to eat.

2. When the substrate is too dry and moisture is trying to be extracted from the substrate.

3. Even with vertebrates, if the conditions are correct anything that is eaten will be passed.

4. Obviously this doesn't apply to the idiots that use small pebbles as a substrate.

There are enough myths in the exotic hobby without adding or continuing the ones already in circulation.

You will probably find the mites came in with the infected Coco fibre.

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
Coco peat does cause impaction. Coco fibre will stick onto any prey items and can be accidentally ingested when eating. This is an invertebrate, not a vertebrate. The coco fiber has been directly related to death; under vivisection, there were fibres that had necrosis at the points where the fibres were touching the epithelial lining. It is not a myth.

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
T
The only time coco fibre will enter into the stomach of anything is when the husbandry is incorrect.

1. Not the correct food for millipede/centipedes and it's consumed as theris little else to eat.

2. When the substrate is too dry and moisture is trying to be extracted from the substrate.

3. Even with vertebrates, if the conditions are correct anything that is eaten will be passed.

4. Obviously this doesn't apply to the idiots that use small pebbles as a substrate.

There are enough myths in the exotic hobby without adding or continuing the ones already in circulation.

This is simply not true.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I spoke to @l4nsky about this I had a sling with mites and the only person I found that had info on it was l4nsky he had a centipede like yours covered. He did say that he used other mites to eat the ones on the centipede but it was like setting of a nuke, it's been years and he still has problems because of it (the mites he used the ones I was going to use,they eat everything mites, springtails, fly lava , they don't distinguish and are impossibleto get rid of. )

I got rid of mine on my 0.5cm sling with mushroom. The mites climb on your centipede because there is no food available where they are so they climb on in hope your centipede will take them somewhere new with food.
Put some mushroom in the enclosure, I used baby portobello that were just on the turn the mites prefer it to fresh, change the mushroom every morning and at night before bed and the mites will travel off your centipede and to the mushroom and as you remove the mushroom it removes the mites.
Once they have all moved off your centipede move the centipede to a new enclosure and bin everything from the old enclosure. It takes a week or 2 or did for me for the t's I have had to demite from online shopsolutions I had less mites then you, so just be patient and keep at it, it worked for my t's hopefully it will work for your centipede.
If not I am sure someone with centipede knowledge will chime in .

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
I spoke to @l4nsky about this I had a sling with mites and the only person I found that had info on it was l4nsky he had a centipede like yours covered. He did say that he used other mites to eat the ones on the centipede but it was like setting of a nuke, it's been years and he still has problems because of it (the mites he used the ones I was going to use,they eat everything mites, springtails, fly lava , they don't distinguish and are impossibleto get rid of. )

I got rid of mine on my 0.5cm sling with mushroom. The mites climb on your centipede because there is no food available where they are so they climb on in hope your centipede will take them somewhere new with food.
Put some mushroom in the enclosure, I used baby portobello that were just on the turn the mites prefer it to fresh, change the mushroom every morning and at night before bed and the mites will travel off your centipede and to the mushroom and as you remove the mushroom it removes the mites.
Once they have all moved off your centipede move the centipede to a new enclosure and bin everything from the old enclosure. It takes a week or 2 or did for me for the t's I have had to demite from online shopsolutions I had less mites then you, so just be patient and keep at it, it worked for my t's hopefully it will work for your centipede.
If not I am sure someone with centipede knowledge will chime in .
Those are for phoretic mites- ones that climb onto the centipede for transport, opportunistically.
This might be a predatory mite infection. However, this is worth a try.

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon

1715582622248.png Please also be advised that millipedes are adapted to digest woody substances. Their distant cousins the centipedes are not. Coco fibre is indigestible, and causes something like a bezoar in humans, which can onlybe removed surgically.
Credits to Xphos on discord.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Coco peat does cause impaction. Coco fibre will stick onto any prey items and can be accidentally ingested when eating. This is an invertebrate, not a vertebrate. The coco fiber has been directly related to death; under vivisection, there were fibres that had necrosis at the points where the fibres were touching the epithelial lining. It is not a myth.
How the hell is an invertebrate going to swallow Coco fibre when the prey is always masticated into a nice and not swallowed whole.

If you research correctly, a team of German scientists carried out many experiments on invertebrates and in each case it was found that Coco fibre had been intentionally eaten as the correct food was not available, especially in the case of millipedes.

Vertebrates are the only things that swallow prey whole and then it's chewed.

Obviously you have not seen Vertebrates wiping off bits of grass, substrate that has stuck to prey, even if swallowed it will pass.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Those are for phoretic mites- ones that climb onto the centipede for transport, opportunistically.
This might be a predatory mite infection. However, this is worth a try.
Predatory mites are rare they look like the mites my sling and saf had I am pretty sure this should work it may take a day or 2 as your centipede has just eaten but they should work.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
View attachment 473289 Please also be advised that millipedes are adapted to digest woody substances. Their distant cousins the centipedes are not. Coco fibre is indigestible, and causes something like a bezoar in humans, which can onlybe removed surgically.
Credits to Xphos on discord.
Coco fibre is not a woody substance.

That's why millipedes are fed, or should be fed, on rotten wood, rotten leaves etc

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter

This helped me loads when my girl came with a twisted abdomen a split in her side and covered in mites.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Predatory mites are rare they look like the mites my sling and saf had I am pretty sure this should work it may take a day or 2 as your centipede has just eaten but they should work.
I know that every African Giant Black millipede I've come across always comes in with these beneficial mites on, not usually to that extent, but the only time the mites leave completely is when the host dies.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I know that every African Giant Black millipede I've come across always comes in with these beneficial mites on, not usually to that extent, but the only time the mites leave completely is when the host dies.
That maybe true with centipede idk I have never kept them but they left both my t's and they are still with me happily growing mite free so it's always worth a shot. I can only speak from my own experience though.

Experience 1

Experience 2

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
How the hell is an invertebrate going to swallow Coco fibre when the prey is always masticated into a nice and not swallowed whole.

If you research correctly, a team of German scientists carried out many experiments on invertebrates and in each case it was found that Coco fibre had been intentionally eaten as the correct food was not available, especially in the case of millipedes.

Obviously you have not seen Vertebrates wiping off bits of grass, substrate that has stuck to prey, even if swallowed it will pass.
This is a centipede. You are not aware of how centipedes eat-they do not liquidate or masticate their prey first. Coco fibre is indigestible. The millipede is just an example. A centipede eats more like a human-it chews. In the case of spiders, they do not eat, they suck. That is correct. This, again, is a centipede, and the mites can be phoretic, or predatory.
Also, if there are incorrect word usages, I apologize, as English is not my first language.

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon

You have to research vertebrate impaction-human bezoars. This can only be removed surgically.
1715584058887.png It will not pass when eaten. This is a myth and you are not spreading the right information. Please stop spreading misinformation regarding centipedes.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
On a FINAL note, if temperatures are correct in the enclosures anything other than a solid stone will pass.
If temperatures are too low other food eaten will not be digested causing anything else to back up in the digestive tract..

As in the link you kindly provided it was stated that " 1/3 strands were found with undigested food.

If I eat a vast amount of Coco fibre and die of a heart attack - the Coco fibre DID NOT kill me !!