Mites in Millipede and hissing cockroach enclosure.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Hello, can someone help me out here please, I was just putting food for my pets when I notice some mites in the enclosure, idk how they got in there but I also have a bunch of spirngtails like colony worth of springtails and I don’t want these mites to ruin that so can someone please help me on how to get rid of them.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Could potentially be your commensal mite species that are supposed to be on those particular species. Pictures?

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Yea I know you can fine mites on both species but I think these are grain mites and not the beneficial ones

Here’s a photo of one of them

Can I please get some help here I need to know what to do to get rid of these pest I don’t want them to overrun the place or go to other enclosures.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldnt freak out if i where you. Dry out the tanks a bit and mite populations should be going down a little! Mites are everywhere in the nature. Very hard not to have them in moist terrariums, especially in chochroach and milliped enclosures! The animals feces atracts mite, and they are pretty dirty with food and so on! But i count grainmites as pretty harmless, if they are not exploading out of control that is!

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Well I have a huge colony of springtails in there with them I was just worried they could do something I know there harmless I just didn’t want a problem on my hands later. So drying the substrate won’t harm the other bugs in the enclosure? Because I lowered down on misting and mist every other day