Mites in enclosure,but T is in pre-molt

Axiom

Arachnopeon
Just found some mites in my enclosure,at first thought it was springtails but they were circular in shape and sluggish in movement. Forum says that I should change the substrate to get rid of the mites,but my T is in pre-molt and has burrowed. Any suggestions? I honestly don't know what to do.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Mites are completely harmless. Wherever you read that is incorrect. There's no need to change the substrate or worry. :)

cold blood

Staff member
yeah, just keep things clean and dry the enclosure out....this is your best method for controlling mite populations....but the mites dont pose a real danger....mites are everywhere, theres no need to te house because of them....theyre detrivores, which means they eat dead things....basically a clean up crew in a t enclosure.

omni

Arachnobaron
depends on how big the T is. Long time ago, I got my 1st OBT I got as a tiny tiny sling, literally shipped in it's habitat just damp potting soil in a small vial which had mites in the sub and webbing and think they stressed him out so much. he was fine the first day after I rehoused I thought? but did not survive 2 more days. they were red mites. in the few mins it took to rehouse it in my own bigger vial, it wouldn't stop running around its vial. I had to get a magnifying glass to see what was up. it was very sad. possibly the shipping experience did not help matters

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mites are completely harmless. Wherever you read that is incorrect. There's no need to change the substrate or worry. :)
Define harmless?

In very large numbers they can irritate Ts, Saw it with my GBB.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Define harmless?

In very large numbers they can irritate Ts, Saw it with my GBB.
In this instance, I define harmless as not able to cause physical injury or damage. You're right that in very large numbers, they can be irritating. But I would not consider being a nuisance the same as being physically dangerous.

Axiom

Arachnopeon
Are they super tiny white mites that hang out around the water bowl?
No,I saw some hanging out in its burrow and some in its hide. They were small and round and slow moving,thought they were springtails at first