Mite Threat

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just had my second T die in over three years. A Haplopelma minax with mites. I am now worried that my other 25 creepy crawlies may be in danger. I have never had mites before, and this T was newly purchased at a pet store. (Usually i dont do the pet store thing, but sometimes I slip up.) I have read that if they do get mites that they are pretty much screwed. Any thoughts??

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disagree they are not screwed if they get mites. I have both had and bought Ts with mites and never had one die from them. A good way to control them when you see them is to dry out the conditions in your setups. Mites have to have a perfect balance of moisture and a food source to live. Take one away and they die eventually.
As for being worried about your other tanks, keep an eye out and if they are spotted dry out your conditions some. Try your best to remove food remains so there is nothing for the mites to eat. And if you find them and they are in large numbers in any one tank you might be better off removing the T and conducting a very good cleaning, then replacing the substrate.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would i be able to do that with my species that need high humidity? I have the following that need the moisture.
T-blondi
T-apophysis
A-bicegoi
A-braunshauseni
A-versicolor

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In the event of a mite outbreak, all of those species can survive with a water dish and a dry tank. Once the mites are eliminated then you can go back to keeping them how you were before. That little period of lower humidity is not going to kill them.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok. thank you. It would suck if I lost my collection!!
thanks again.
peace.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A way to prevent mite outbreaks and keep it humid is to get prey remains out within hours of your Ts disposing them. Mites don't show up unless there is something to eat in the enclosure; they don't go after the T right away.

Have you ever thought about using isopods as tank cleaners?