Misting... good idea or bad idea?

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
The more and more i research if I should mist my cages for my T's I either see yes its a great thing, or no its a bad thing.

For example, my B. Smithi was in premolt and I read that higher humidity helps with it, so I misted the cage lightly and she molted within the next day.

I also have an A. seemanni and I can't find much information on it, but apparently they need higher humidity so I've been overflowing her dish and misting half the cage once a week until the substrate is very damp. I don't know if that works or not but I'm doing it until I'm told otherwise.

I also have an A. Avic and this is where I get confused. Half of the people say they need humidity, the other half say keep them dry. So far I've left my avic dry, but she's getting a tall large enclosure and I was thinking on misting the side of the tank once in a while because I heard that's how they get their water, or putting some droplets on a plant.

Or instead of misting, I was going to plant some pothos in my avic and seemanni tank to give off some kind of moisture from the leaves, although it isn't much. thoughts? (If the avic likes it dry I'll use fake plants and then plant live ones in the other)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The more and more i research if I should mist my cages for my T's I either see yes its a great thing, or no its a bad thing.
Bad idea, it's pretty much pointless, it also just pisses off the occupant and kicks up any previously discarded hairs.

For example, my B. Smithi was in premolt and I read that higher humidity helps with it, so I misted the cage lightly and she molted within the next day.
B.smithi/hamorii should be kept dry, they don't need a moisture boost when in pre-moult, and even if they did, misting would be a crap way to do it.

I also have an A. seemanni and I can't find much information on it, but apparently they need higher humidity so I've been overflowing her dish and misting half the cage once a week until the substrate is very damp. I don't know if that works or not but I'm doing it until I'm told otherwise.
Pouring water directly into the substrate would be much more efficient, misting only moistens the top of the substrate, pouring water into the sub ensures that the lower levels of sub are moistened.

I also have an A. Avic and this is where I get confused. Half of the people say they need humidity, the other half say keep them dry. So far I've left my avic dry, but she's getting a tall large enclosure and I was thinking on misting the side of the tank once in a while because I heard that's how they get their water, or putting some droplets on a plant.
They should be kept dry with a large water dish, no need to spritz the glass or their webbing, all of mine have come down to their water dishes to drink.

36234778_2185844141429013_3492496143286272000_n.jpg

Or instead of misting, I was going to plant some pothos in my avic and seemanni tank to give off some kind of moisture from the leaves, although it isn't much. thoughts? (If the avic likes it dry I'll use fake plants and then plant live ones in the other)
I wouldn't put it in with the Avic as they need drier conditions (they should have fake plants already as they like a bit of clutter up top to hide in/web up), you could plant it in the A. seemanni enclosure but the A. seemanni might just rip them up to troll you.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Forget about humidity, its inconsequential...you can lightly mist the webbing for avicularia every now and again and some will drink from it, but thats the exception to the rule.

cold blood

Staff member
Misting can be a confusing topic, often because its usually brought up with regards to husbandry. Its not an effective or even needed part of t husbandry, so for that purpose, its completely useless. On the other hand, misting can play a part, but its more to provide a convenient, short term drinking option.

Generally, misting isn't something ever required.

It molting, and your misting were mere coincidence. Keep things drier with this t.

My biggest annoyance in the hobby...the term humidity. Reptile people use it because it matters for them, but its pushed its way into this hobby, where its irrelevant. Saying ts need some magical number specific humidity or any kind is like saying certain breeds of dog need specific humidity....preposterous.

When you see a t that people say requires humidity, what it really means is that they need damp substrate. The only role your humidity plays is determining how fast that dampness evaporates, so in dry situations you merely add more water, more often...but just keeping it damp provides the t what it needs (and that is keeping the book lungs from drying out).

For your seemani, you just need damp sub, and preferable the sub deepest, surface moisture isn't as important for a burrower like seemani. Achieve this by pouring water n at the sides so you can see how seep the water s penetrating.
I also have an A. Avic and this is where I get confused. Half of the people say they need humidity, the other half say keep them dry.
The first half just got their info from care sheets or pet stores, this is old info we now know to be incorrect, this group will struggle to keep their avics healthy and alive long term. The second half are the educated ones, the ones that have had, or will have, long term success.

Never trust a care sheet, or a pet store for t info.

I was thinking on misting the side of the tank once in a while because I heard that's how they get their water, or putting some droplets on a plant.
That's one way they get water, and a periodic spritz on the web or wall can be effective for offering drinking water, but it should be minimal and infrequent unless your area is very dry.
Or instead of misting, I was going to plant some pothos in my avic and seemanni tank to give off some kind of moisture from the leaves
Again, moisture in the air is not accessible for a t, and is therefore not helpful. Your t will not be healthier because it has live plants, they look nice, but in t enclosures they can be a real hassle, over-complicating something uncomplicated. If you go this route, wait a while until you are much more experienced with t husbandry. IMO plastic plants are the way to go.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Hosing down the enclosure like it’s the democratic national convention, no.

A little web or wall spritz in teeny deli cups with no water dish yes. I do it bi-weekly

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
And some will succumb to dehydration even when a water dish is available, as if they cant find it. This has been seen/reported many times.

An occasional spritz on the webbing is a good precautionary measure.
I must have never kept any of those individuals over the years.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

There's no scientific proof higher humidity aids in molting. This is a hold over from reptile keepers IMO.

Leave your Avic dry. Few people can keep an Avic humid and ALIVE, primarily because they can't manager the mass air flow required to keep them alive in moist/stuffy conditions. I've raising Avics for a very long time, you won't a dead Avic use humidity like that what is found in their native environment. In their native environments, it's humid, but it doesn't smell bad like most people report when they Avic is DEAD.

As for misting--- there are some Ts that refuse to drink from water in a bowl. Avics won't always do it. Relying on misting alone is bad too because you don't know when your T is thirsty.

I have Avics that drink from bowl, and then stop, but drink from container wall- the key to Avic survival is watching the size of their abdomen throughout their life cycle!!

I have a a couple of NW terrestrials, with very large abdomens, They don't need food, but they both were drinking from a bowl yesterday. Just because you have a FAT T doesn't mean it doesn't need water.

And some will succumb to dehydration even when a water dish is available, as if they cant find it. This has been seen/reported many times.

An occasional spritz on the webbing is a good precautionary measure.
See it with Avics quite a bit....lately my AF A. minatrix is the problem bowl drinker.

Misting can be a confusing topic, often because its usually brought up with regards to husbandry. Its not an effective or even needed part of t husbandry, so for that purpose, its completely useless. On the other hand, misting can play a part, but its more to provide a convenient, short term drinking option.

Generally, misting isn't something ever required.

It molting, and your misting were mere coincidence. Keep things drier with this t.

My biggest annoyance in the hobby...the term humidity. Reptile people use it because it matters for them, but its pushed its way into this hobby, where its irrelevant. Saying ts need some magical number specific humidity or any kind is like saying certain breeds of dog need specific humidity....preposterous.

When you see a t that people say requires humidity, what it really means is that they need damp substrate. The only role your humidity plays is determining how fast that dampness evaporates, so in dry situations you merely add more water, more often...but just keeping it damp provides the t what it needs (and that is keeping the book lungs from drying out).

For your seemani, you just need damp sub, and preferable the sub deepest, surface moisture isn't as important for a burrower like seemani. Achieve this by pouring water n at the sides so you can see how seep the water s penetrating.

The first half just got their info from care sheets or pet stores, this is old info we now know to be incorrect, this group will struggle to keep their avics healthy and alive long term. The second half are the educated ones, the ones that have had, or will have, long term success.

Never trust a care sheet, or a pet store for t info.

That's one way they get water, and a periodic spritz on the web or wall can be effective for offering drinking water, but it should be minimal and infrequent unless your area is very dry.

Again, moisture in the air is not accessible for a t, and is therefore not helpful. Your t will not be healthier because it has live plants, they look nice, but in t enclosures they can be a real hassle, over-complicating something uncomplicated. If you go this route, wait a while until you are much more experienced with t husbandry. IMO plastic plants are the way to go.
But some Ts just go for the bowl in a reliable enough fashion..Advan has seen this, and I have too.

I think adding droplets is effective more so than misting. However in the end one is still guessing what your T wants, and a victim of evaporation, if the T is thirsty after the water is evaporated.

Avics will drink out of bowls if they need to.
View attachment 281718
They don't always do it. I have a few species that won't do so consistently, it's an issue.

Last edited by a moderator: