Miscellaneous Southern California Invertebrates

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A few weeks back I took my youngest daughter out for a hike. She stops at nearly every hole in the ground to look for tarantulas. (No, I wouldn't let her jab a stick into a real tarantula burrow)

Little Q Looking for Tarantulas

She soon spotted her first tarantula find! It was a mature male wandering the hillside. She said "Look!" and pointed right at the spindly male.
Little Q’s First T Find – Aphonopelma sp.

Another male was spotted the very next night at almost exactly the same time of day. It was photographed exactly as it was found.
Mature Male Aphonopelma sp.

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting Little Bee

I found several individuals of the above bees. Each one was found singly in one of the below flowers.

Calochortus splendens – Splendid Mariposa Lily

Fuzzy White Caterpillar – This was found on mustard plant.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This was about the coolest thing I've spotted in awhile. It is definitely in my top ten finds. I was toting the little one around the hills and spotted this gorgeous blue spider wasp perched on a trapdoor burrow. I always wondered how a wasp would get one of these critters out of their burrow. I had no idea they just sat on top and waited for the little buggers to open their door.

Wasp - Aphorus sp.? Waiting for Trapdoor Spider – Bothriocyrtum californicum

Every now and then the wasp would wag its abdomen back and forth like a cat ready pounce. I would have stayed all night to watch the drama unfold if I didn't have the little one with me.

Wasp Waiting for Trapdoor Spider

I often find abandoned trapdoor burrows with these holes drilled into or out of the burrow.

Trapdoor Lid With Hole – Wasp Exit?

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tenebrionid Beetle

Robber Fly

Orb Weaver Blowing in the Wind. The photo is blurry, but I like it for some reason.

Diabolical Ironclad Beetle – Phloeodes diabolicum

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anuroctonus Burrow – Anuroctonus pococki

Cabbage White – Pieris rapae?

Butterflies Mating – California Hairstreak – Satyrium californica?

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome pics as usual. I love the wasp, that would definitely be a cool find. Too bad you couldnt stay to watch it catch the spider.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you Sky, beetleman, and David. :) I've been mixing it up a little with the variety of invertebrates I photograph.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, all of those are great photos.

...especially the wasp. amazing!

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the link! I may have to grab a cocoon next time I see one. I would like to see a wasp emerge from one of those cocoons.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the link! I may have to grab a cocoon next time I see one. I would like to see a wasp emerge from one of those cocoons.
i suspect if you emailed that guy he could provide an ID if he has had someone look into it... or maybe contacts to people you could send a corpse to for ID... people that would actually be happy like "well, *only* if you let me keep the body. teehee"

truth be told, those shiny wasps are one of the only things out there that make me a little uncomfortable. them and grass spiders.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those shiny wasps are one of the only things out there that make me a little uncomfortable. them and grass spiders.
Grass spiders make you uncomfortable? That is hilarious, I am trying to breed them. {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Grass spiders make you uncomfortable? That is hilarious, I am trying to breed them. {D
have you seen a mature male yet? they look crazy. external spiral emboli on their pedipalps. looks like the "boxing glove" has a giant spring wrapped around it.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I have a mature male right now. I just need to find a nice big female to mate him with....