Misc. questions

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Is a 1/2 sling ready for a water dish? If so what to use? It's a hapalopus sp. "Columbia" small. I keep the substrate and sphagnum moss moist. Is there anything more annoying than your sub adult A. seemani sealing it self in her burrow after the first 3 weeks of getting it? I was hoping she was molting, but I can see her through the tank. She's just setting there. I guess this is normal Aphonopelma behavior. She's been in for almost 2 weeks. Bahhh lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I provide water to my Hapalopus sp. Slings( all my slings for that matter) via a tattoo ink cup. You can also use the single lego pieces or the head of a golf T.

Two weeks is nothing for a sub adult in pre-molt or it just doesn't feel like being bothered..

I haven't seen my fimbriatus in about 2 months but it's kicking out it's bolus's every time I feed so I know it's alive..

Last edited:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I provide water to my Hapalopus sp. Slings( all my slings for that matter) via a tattoo ink cup. You can also use the single lego pieces or the head of a golf T.

Two weeks is nothing for a sub adult in pre-molt or it just doesn't feel like being bothered..

I haven't seen my fimbriatus in about 2 months but it's kicking out it's bolus's every time I feed so I know it's alive..
Tattoo ink cups are a stroke of genius! I'll have to try that out. Right now I use 3/4" plastic caps that were originally intended for capping off metal tubing.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Is a 1/2 sling ready for a water dish? If so what to use? It's a hapalopus sp. "Columbia" small. I keep the substrate and sphagnum moss moist. Is there anything more annoying than your sub adult A. seemani sealing it self in her burrow after the first 3 weeks of getting it? I was hoping she was molting, but I can see her through the tank. She's just setting there. I guess this is normal Aphonopelma behavior. She's been in for almost 2 weeks. Bahhh lol
I kept my Hap from 1" without a water bowl. I just wet down one half of the substrate and let it dry out a bit. A water dish definitely won't hurt if you can fit one comfortably in the enclosure. Remember, slings aren't even heavy enough to break the surface tension of water, so it's basically impossible for them to drown.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I used a shallow vial cap for my tiny sling.View media item 32118I just put a stone in to assist her short sling legs.... lol

(sorry for potato cam pix -- this is my avic when she was tiny)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never used any sort of water dish for any sling under an inch and have never had an issue. I've witnessed them drink from water droplets after a light misting of the container so, between that and the moisture from their food, that seems to be adiquit. Larger T's don't eat often enough to get the needed moisture so at an inch is when I add a small dish. Normally a shallow energy drink lid.

cold blood

Staff member
There's no such thing as too small for a water dish, ts float, water isn't ever a hazard. My rule is that as soon as the ts enclosure is big enough for a dish, it gets one.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Here's another question to add. In my A. seemani's 2.5 gallon, we see two areas of coco fiber. Slightly drier "healthy" looking areas and darker web laiden areas that are starting to show white fuzzy fungi/mold growth. Does the webbing retain moisture? Also could someone please take a pic of a tarantula bolus? I still have yet to notice anything and want to make sure I'm not missing it.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Here's another question to add. In my A. seemani's 2.5 gallon, we see two areas of coco fiber. Slightly drier "healthy" looking areas and darker web laiden areas that are starting to show white fuzzy fungi/mold growth. Does the webbing retain moisture? Also could someone please take a pic of a tarantula bolus? I still have yet to notice anything and want to make sure I'm not missing it.
I've had white fuzzy mold like that pop up before in my L. difficilis enclosure. Funny enough, she laid a web mat over the mold and it never came back. As long as your sub is mostly dry, the mold should die off on its own due to lack of moisture. I don't have any photos of boli, but hey pretty much just look like dirt balls IME. If you look closely, you can see bits in there from whatever they were munching on, albeit extremely mutilated.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
If you can fit a water dish, every tarantula, regardless of size, should have a size appropriate water dish filled at all times.

As for walling up their hide, this is text book tarantula doing textbook tarantula things. They do that, just got to get over it.