Mini Millipedes

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering if you could keep/care for the mini millipede species.I don't know their names,but the ones you find in your backyard.

I used to collect these and care for them briefly when I was a kid,but they would always die,as I didn't know what they ate or how to really care for them.

Anyway if I can look after these,lemme know...like how long an they live? What do they eat? Are their care similar to giant millipedes? ANYTHING...thanks!

Also if you know what they are called,that would be cool.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught a few of those last summer but they didn't last long, I'm not sure but I would assume the ones big enough to find and catch are adults. Maybe they just have a short lifespan.
By the way Juggalos Rule:clap:

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have found smaller ones and they tend to be redish not as black as the bigger ones.

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
I've tried to keep the smaller native born millipedes for OE -- I too, cannot keep them alive.

Any suggestions at all?

Nai

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I caught a few of those last summer but they didn't last long, I'm not sure but I would assume the ones big enough to find and catch are adults. Maybe they just have a short lifespan.
By the way Juggalos Rule:clap:
YAY! Another juggalo! MCL!!

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies.

xrickus

Arachnopeon
I have a tiny one (1”) in a small pill container.
It eats and digs all day and night; I have it in captivity since January.
I use coconut fiber as substrate and I always leave a small piece of lettuce in it.
I tried other vegetables and fruits but it only eats lettuce.

Rick

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well now that the weather is warmer,I am soon gonna see what I can find!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I have good luck keeping mini millipedes in tanks with larger estasblished ones. The tank gets "seasoned" faster with the big ones. I find it hard to keep the right conditions when only the small millis are in a tank because they do not churn up all of the dirt as often so there is not even moisture distribution.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i kept about 10 of the minispecies together in a medium-ish jar with relatively low ventilation. i would just pop in flowers and other plants (kind of rotten works best) that i found the minis on and they would steadily convert it into frass. at the point right before i had a mold bloom wipe everything out i had babies from 3-4 of the species and they could convert a carnation size flower to frass in a day or two. it was actually very interesting to watch them work with a magnifying glass.