Millipede molting or dead?

kaciealissa

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased two ivory millipedes, one is a baby and the other is about 3 inches. I haven’t seen the bigger one in a few days but I’m not familiar with molting behavior and this is my first millipede. I know you’re not supposed to dig into the substrate so Should I assume he’s molting or dig for him a little on the surface to make sure he’s not dead?

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Assume he's molting - If he's dead, you'll smell it across your room (like rotten crab shells I've heard). Plus digging him up is too much of a risk, just let him come up on his own.

Hope that helps,
Dagan H.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long has it been since you’ve seen it? This is very normal millipede behavior so I’d wait a good while before digging them up.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
My ivories have seen record times of 2-3 months under the substrate during key molts when they were younger. It’s so scary but normal!

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
My ivories have seen record times of 2-3 months under the substrate during key molts when they were younger. It’s so scary but normal!
My Thai rainbows and ivories have been under soooo long, but they'll soon pop up with bigger, shiney bodies lolll