Millipede mites and molting

Nephaleim

Arachnosquire
Hello!
A few months ago i bought an A. Gigas African millipede.
A few weeks ago I saw her burrowing into the substrate and I haven't seen her since. So how long does molting take for millipedes? I'm pretty sure she went to molt because she turned lighter in color and stopped eating, but it's possible she was sick as well.
I was thinking about waiting till the end of August and then I'll go and gently dig in the terrarium to check if she is okay. In the enclosure I have a lot of springtails. I hope springtails can't hurt her? I could never find that info online.

Anyway it's been a long time even while she was still up and running, that I've seen mites on her. I know millipedes have symbiotic mites that live on them, but those mites just dissapeared, and there isn't a single one on her anymore. It's possible other soil creatures like centipedes and predatory mites ate them. She is going to be okay without these mites right? I do see springtails on her often so they could be cleaning her as well.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Hello!
A few months ago i bought an A. Gigas African millipede.
A few weeks ago I saw her burrowing into the substrate and I haven't seen her since. So how long does molting take for millipedes? I'm pretty sure she went to molt because she turned lighter in color and stopped eating, but it's possible she was sick as well.
I was thinking about waiting till the end of August and then I'll go and gently dig in the terrarium to check if she is okay. In the enclosure I have a lot of springtails. I hope springtails can't hurt her? I could never find that info online.

Anyway it's been a long time even while she was still up and running, that I've seen mites on her. I know millipedes have symbiotic mites that live on them, but those mites just dissapeared, and there isn't a single one on her anymore. It's possible other soil creatures like centipedes and predatory mites ate them. She is going to be okay without these mites right? I do see springtails on her often so they could be cleaning her as well.
From what you said it looks like she is just molting, even if she doesn't come up by august I dont recomend digging her up no matter how gently because she could either be still molting (it can take a long time for millipedes), she could be dead, or she could be fine and just chose to stay down there, even if she is dead the chance that she is molting and you kill her is a risk that could happen so I would wait longer. I had this happen for about a year on two occasions and one millipede i never found :( (i waited too long) but the other came out on its own. But even if it is dead digging it up isnt gonna save it.

Nephaleim

Arachnosquire
From what you said it looks like she is just molting, even if she doesn't come up by august I dont recomend digging her up no matter how gently because she could either be still molting (it can take a long time for millipedes), she could be dead, or she could be fine and just chose to stay down there, even if she is dead the chance that she is molting and you kill her is a risk that could happen so I would wait longer. I had this happen for about a year on two occasions and one millipede i never found :( (i waited too long) but the other came out on its own. But even if it is dead digging it up isnt gonna save it.
I'm just so worried, and I want to know if she is fine.. It's already been about a month..

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I'm just so worried, and I want to know if she is fine.. It's already been about a month..
dont worry too much, if she is fine then she will come out on her own, if she isnt then digging her up will make it worse, just try to be patient :)