Millipede might be biting itself?

mossloft

Arachnosquire
I purchased a Texas Gold yesterday, at Repticon, and he seems to be fitting right in! However, this morning I noticed he's been running his head along his body, like he's biting his legs or trying to groom himself. Is this a behavior I should be worried about? Looking at him now, I'm pretty sure he's chewing on his exoskeleton...Does he need more calcium? The person I bought them from said he didn't put any calcium or anything in their enclosure...

mossloft

Arachnosquire
There are little white/grey bugs in his enclosure, idk what they are...
There was also a super small fly-like thing.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Likely grooming itself. Millipedes will do that for long periods of time, and so unless you actually see damage on the body, there is nothing to worry about. Millipedes don't really need a calcium supplement, but if you are worried you can add some cuttle bone or a little bit of reptile calcium powder to the substrate.

Looks to be springtails. They are beneficial and harmless, helping to keep mold and grain mites at bay. As for the fly, it is probably a fungus gnat. Harmless in small amounts, but if there are a lot of them a substrate change/introduction of springtails (which you apparently already have) may be necessary.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Did you buy the millipedes with the enclosure? Fungus gnats and springtails don't usually find an enclosure overnight. Seems a bit odd.

mossloft

Arachnosquire
Did you buy the millipedes with the enclosure? Fungus gnats and springtails don't usually find an enclosure overnight. Seems a bit odd.
When I bought it, the seller scooped up dirt from the enclosure and gave me the container for transportation.