millipede housing fungus an issue?

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's exceptionally hard to identify millipedes, in the pet hobbyist world it seems. The milli's I have are "Ghana Red Banded", with no latin, as far as I can tell.

I'd definately put some more holes in that lid.

They look nice though :)

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just for the fun of it, here's a link to some photos of the desert millipede. They are rather nice, in that they show some of the variability in coloration. Looks like they are on soil or peat/soil?

http://www.bugweb.dk/orthoporus_ornatus.htm

Out of curiosity, do you think those common african ones (the Ghanaian Red Banded) would sell for $11 a piece? Are they common enough to go for that in the US? What did you owners pay for yours? (and did you get them at a shop or online?)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
Just for the fun of it, here's a link to some photos of the desert millipede. They are rather nice, in that they show some of the variability in coloration. Looks like they are on soil or peat/soil?

Out of curiosity, do you think those common african ones (the Ghanaian Red Banded) would sell for $11 a piece? Are they common enough to go for that in the US? What did you owners pay for yours? (and did you get them at a shop or online?)
My first two I paid £8 each for the (about $12 I think). My second lot I paid £5 each (about $7.5).

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joanah's millipedes do look a lot more like the Ghana millipedes in the pictures Crunchie posted than the common forms Orthoporus ornatus. See, it's always good to get a second opinion! I wasn't familliar with the Ghana ones. I'ding from photos is always a tricky affair!

I've found natural, partially decoposed hardwood leaf litter, including some chucks of rotten wood, to be a great substrate for most millipedes. They actually eat it and it's closer to their normal diet (I give them some veggies too). The peat makes a good bottom layer since it has a good consistancy for them to molt in. They could probably live on it alone, but you'll have a better shot of getting babies if you lay a nice thick layer of natural dead leves on top.

I freeze this material for a week or so prior to using in order to kill off most pests. The only univited animal I find in my millipede tanks are springtails, which are harmless and possibly bennificial since they may out compete mites for food.

Wade

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joanah's millipedes do look a lot more like the Ghana millipedes in the pictures Crunchie posted than the common forms Orthoporus ornatus.
Id'ing is a pain in the neck with millipedes but I'm not sure if Joanah's millipedes are the Ghana bronze. The Ghana bronze I dont think gets as big and is also a bit more longer legged I think it's more of an aboreal species as mine seem to like to stay off the ground. They are also a bit thinner bodied than Joanah's millipedes.

Here are some better photos of mine, they look quite different...

I'm afraid I've never kept the Texas millipedes so can't compare them but they look quite big to me. I think they may be some other African millipede as
the diversity over there is so much richer, it's not unreasonable to think that this is just a species which is rarely offered.

Millipedes are great animals to keep, it's just a shame they are so difficult ti ID.

I've found natural, partially decoposed hardwood leaf litter, including some chucks of rotten wood, to be a great substrate for most millipedes. They actually eat it and it's closer to their normal diet (I give them some veggies too). The peat makes a good bottom layer since it has a good consistancy for them to molt in. They could probably live on it alone, but you'll have a better shot of getting babies if you lay a nice thick layer of natural dead leves on top.
Sound advice, this is what I do as well.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:

I got a deal on mine. The guy was selling his for $9 a peice, and 3 for $20.
So I bought three for the price break :)

As for "more common" I've only ever seen these guys for sale by the guy I bought them from. I've seen one caresheet on the net, haven't seen anybody else really selling them.

Oh, btw, my milli's are different from crunchies.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40622

Last edited: