millie diet questions

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
The crisis of the dying Desert Yellows calmed down, for now, I have a diet question. I have a African Giant Black and, the Desert Yellows. A friend of mine who has millies, told me that she will sometimes offer a moistened piece of dog kibble. So, I dig out a couple of pieces of Iams, and soaked them. I placed them in there, and went to bed.
Come this morning, the African had eaten half! As for the Desert Yellows, they had come out of the soil, and had completely surrounded it. I came home from work around noon, and all were still eating their respective pieces..Incredible. Is this good for them? I mean, given my druthers, I could eat raw Toll House Cookie dough like there's no tomorrow.
Peace,
Gillian

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well , dog food is balanced nutrition wise..

The only reason it could harm them is if it is missing something they need or they use a preservative harmful to them

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tend to use high protien foods very, very sparingly. The occasional exception rather than the rule. Most millipedes are detritus feeders, meaning they eat whatever organic debris they find on the ground. Although there may be some animal protien in there among the leaf litter that they eat in the wild (insect parts probably), the vast majority is going to be plant based. We don't really know if there's anything nutritionally wrong with high protien stuff like dog food for millipedes, BUT dog food does tend to be a "mite magnet" in a moist millipede cage.

One thing that's kinda neat to do is to give them a little peanut butter as a "treat". They go nuts for it (no pun intended). What I usually do is put a recently finished jar in the cage. The pedes will eat the left over PB that's on the sides of the jar. They'll clean it completely! Again, though, I only do this on occasion.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Wade,
Hmmm..pb..Actually, that sounds really cute..I can just see them, crawling around cleaning everything up..*g* As for the dog food..I wasn't thinking of everyday..Is there a set diet, for millies? I just want to make sure I have all their bases covered..nutritionally.
Peace,
Gillian

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was going to reply w/ an answer to your post but I think wade, summed it up. lol

But furthermore all the sites, tell me that their diet should consist of: bananas, tomatoes, melons, romaine lettuce, apples, cucumbers, and other fruits and vegetables. With a dose of calcium added to their diet, like calcium powder from a pet store.

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Proteus,
Hmmm..well, that means I'll have to shop, as MY diet consists of pop tarts. peanut butter, and other greasy, starchy things. *lol* Seriously, thanks. Who knows, maybe the healthy diet will rub off on me?
Peace,
Gillian

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say variety is important, as implied by the list Proteus provided. Fortunately, however, they are scavangers and this material need not be in great condition. They may even like it better if it's a little past it's prime. My millipedes get whataver fruit or veggi that starts to wilt or spoil in the fridge. I will also give them things like carrot peels, broccoli stalks, the caps of stawberries...basically any produce that my wife and I don't eat ourselves! I rarely have to buy anything specifically for them. If I don't have any leftovers, I thaw out some diced mixed vegetables. They sell this cheap in the frozen food section of the grocery store. I buy it mainly for my blue-tounged skinks, but the millis enjoy it as well.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Wade,
So, it doesn't matter if the food offered is a little "off"? I just don't want to feed nasty food..
Peace,
Gillian

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gillian-

Yes, it's fine if it's a little off...remember that these guys are recyclers...rotting vegetable matter is the priamry menu in the wild for most species! I usually dump and clean the dish when it starts to get REALLY rank...when it's squishy etc. I actually don't think the pedes are too put off by this, but that's when it starts to smell and attract flies, so out it goes.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Wade,
Cool! That opens up the horizons for my millies, considerably. As for the squishy part, I've noticed it also starts to smell bad, as well. Being as my millies are staying in my room....YECH! *bg*
Peace,
Gillian

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Peanut butter..................? even I won't eat that!

Here's one for you guys,
I fed my millies their regular "salad" mix
and also gave them a candied cherry!

It was a Maraschino cherry, I rinsed it off
to cut down on the stickyness and they just loved it:} :}

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's amazing how much they'll go after something new when introduced. I sliced up an over-ripe pear once and they devoured it in less than a day. The next time I gave them one, they just nibbled at it.

Wade