Might get a pet ‘daddy long legs’?

Dragonsongbird

Arachnopeon
So I’ve always thought spiders were cool, my favorites are probably daddy long legs (and the most likely I will be able to get). I have a gecko who upgraded tanks, so I have a 10 gallon tank sitting on my floor with a screened lid of course. Food is the easy part, I have some cans on dead dried mealworms and crickets my gecko never ate. I also have a mealworm breeding farm and am constantly finding dead beetles in their tank. I figure giving them to a spider is better than throwing them in the trash (or letting it’s friends eat it, that’s just plain gross..)
I need help with any humidity levels or temperatures though? Do they like to climb? Can they climb up glass? How much water do they need? (I assume tap water is fine for them?) Will it feel safe if I put a few rocks, logs, sticks, and an inch of dirt in there? I can’t find much on the web so I have a lot of questions..

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
You are talking about getting a Pholcid, a daddy long legs spider or cellar spider, right? Pholcidae is one of the most species-rich families of spiders, and particulars will depend on the species.
They usually live in damp caves or the damp cellars of people's houses, never getting rain or dew. Pholcus phalangioides has a cosmopolitan distribution and is synanthropic (living with people), so it will be most familiar and is probably the species you mean. I have some living in my basement, in fact, and it isn't damp down there. They can climb glass. They eat small insects, but many pholcids also prey on other spiders, especially on Tegeneria spp., even pirating food and egg sacs of other spiders. Their long legs help them win fights one would not expect them to win, being such spindly and delicate looking spiders.
Hydrated prey should provide more than adequate water. I don't think dead and dried prey is a good idea at all, though.
Good luck, and enjoy 👍

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
So I’ve always thought spiders were cool, my favorites are probably daddy long legs (and the most likely I will be able to get). I have a gecko who upgraded tanks, so I have a 10 gallon tank sitting on my floor with a screened lid of course. Food is the easy part, I have some cans on dead dried mealworms and crickets my gecko never ate. I also have a mealworm breeding farm and am constantly finding dead beetles in their tank. I figure giving them to a spider is better than throwing them in the trash (or letting it’s friends eat it, that’s just plain gross..)
I need help with any humidity levels or temperatures though? Do they like to climb? Can they climb up glass? How much water do they need? (I assume tap water is fine for them?) Will it feel safe if I put a few rocks, logs, sticks, and an inch of dirt in there? I can’t find much on the web so I have a lot of questions..
There are three main invertebrates by the name “Daddy long legs” there is cellar spiders, harvestmen (an arachnid, but not a spider) , and crane flies (a type of insect). They need to know so they can help you! 😁

Dragonsongbird

Arachnopeon
You are talking about getting a Pholcid, a daddy long legs spider or cellar spider, right? Pholcidae is one of the most species-rich families of spiders, and particulars will depend on the species.
They usually live in damp caves or the damp cellars of peoples houses, never getting rain or dew. Pholcus phalangioides has a cosmopolitan distribution and is synanthropic (living with people), so it will be most familiar and is probably the species you mean. I have some living in my basement, in fact, and it isn't damp down there. They can climb glass. They eat small insects, but many pholcids also prey on other spiders, especially on Tegeneria spp., even pirating food and egg sacs of other spiders. Their long legs help them win fights one would not expect them to win, being such spindly and delicate looking spiders.
Hydrated prey should provide more than adequate water. I don't think dead and dried prey is a good idea at all, though.
Good luck, and enjoy 👍
They usually live in damp caves or the damp cellars of peoples houses, never getting rain or dew. Pholcus phalangioides has a cosmopolitan distribution and is synanthropic (living with people), so it will be most familiar and is probably the species you mean. I have some living in my basement, in fact, and it isn't damp down there. They can climb glass. They eat small insects, but many pholcids also prey on other spiders, especially on Tegeneria spp., even pirating food and egg sacs of other spiders. Their long legs help them win fights one would not expect them to win, being such spindly and delicate looking spiders.
Good luck, and enjoy 👍
Ohhh okay thank you! I hope I can convince my parents to let me get one!

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
There are three main invertebrates by the name “Daddy long legs” there is cellar spiders, harvestmen (an arachnid, but not a spider) , and crane flies (a type of insect). They need to know so they can help you! 😁
That's a great point. Thanks!
I doubt crane flies would be confused with a spider by anyone here, but harvestmen... ...I guess, maybe, in which case that's a different story, and new care instructions are needed.

Dragonsongbird

Arachnopeon
Oop- I honestly thought daddy long legs were 1 type of spider and just came in different colors (like gecko morphs or dog's colors) for years XD

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Oop- I honestly thought daddy long legs were 1 type of spider and just came in different colors (like gecko morphs or dog's colors) for years XD
OK, well Google 'pholcid' and 'harvestmen' and tell us which one you mean, please. Then we can advise you properly.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Alright I was talking about a harvestmen! Sorry!
Cool! I don’t know too much about them but they seem like cool pets. I’ve done some research and here’s what I’ve found: They live about a year. rotten squishy fruits like banana mixed with water are good for feeding, also the insides of feeder insects. They also need a shallow water dish to stay hydrated. Best Humidity and temperature is whatever it is outside when you capture them. I think that’s the basic care!

Also keep in mind that they are not spiders, so no web. I also recommend that the top of the enclosure is transparent so you can see it when it’s near the top, if it is the kind that likes walls. They also like sand and leaf litter in their enclosures to hide.

Dragonsongbird

Arachnopeon
Cool! I don’t know too much about them but they seem like cool pets. I’ve done some research and here’s what I’ve found: They live about a year. rotten squishy fruits like banana mixed with water are good for feeding, also the insides of feeder insects. They also need a shallow water dish to stay hydrated. Best Humidity and temperature is whatever it is outside when you capture them. I think that’s the basic care!
Well I know my mom won't let me keep rotting fruit in the house so I might have to think of something else!
I remember a few months ago I was outside at a gathering and me and some younger kids were making a huge pile of leaves to jump in (it actually hurts-) and I found a harvestmen crawling in the pile. I rescued it and held it for a few minutes and the other kids were all grossed out, but it was cool and kinda tickled. I guess that helped me warm up to them.

Also keep in mind that they are not spiders, so no web. I also recommend that the top of the enclosure is transparent so you can see it when it’s near the top, if it is the kind that likes walls. They also like sand and leaf litter in their enclosures to hide.
I've got a mesh lid since it used to be a terrarium.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Here are some posts for you to read. Around here people like to use some scientific names where possible, so harvestmen = Opiliones.

Now you can use dead insects along with vegetable matter as food.
Have fun!

Have you considered jumpers?
That's a great idea also. 👍 Jumping spiders are CUTE!

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
That's a great idea also. 👍 Jumping spiders are CUTE!
Jumping spiders are soooper cute. I have one actually. They make good pets, are easy to care for, and super curious and adventurous. But no pressure!
Here is a jumping spider I saw in my backyard:

Attachments

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Yes (we have tons of those in my back yard) but I'm not sure my mom would go for a more uh.. spidery looking spider? She doesn't flinch whenever she sees me with a daddy long legs though.
Jumping spiders are very small, so maybe she won’t mind because it’s not too big. They also don’t bite unless threatened.

Also, I’m sure there is some non-rotten foods you could feed a harvestmen if you’re still wanting one😊

Dragonsongbird

Arachnopeon
Jumping spiders are very small, so maybe she won’t mind because it’s not too big. They also don’t bite unless threatened.

Also, I’m sure there is some non-rotten foods you could feed a harvestmen if you’re still wanting one😊
I'll have to check with my parents first. I'm also wanting some fish and my parents might make me pick one or the other XC