Mexico 2010

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree that these are beautiful shots and I envy your trip! I have done <edit> all this year! Hence, my lack of posting. What I cannot fathom is how you got those amazing solifugid species to sit still. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice thread! I am curious... what made the mogul of dirt in the picture right before the colorful solifugid toward the top of the thread? It looks very similar to what some of our native dwarf aphonopelma do.
indeed this was a dwarf Aphonopelma as well.

I love the salamander pics! Looks like its a type of pseudoeurycea... maybe
P. bellii sierraoccidentalis??? One of my favorite genus of salamander! The amblypygids are top notch as well!!

Josh
Glad you like the salamanders. i have no idea on species.

cheers

Eddy

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
indeed this was a dwarf Aphonopelma as well.

Glad you like the salamanders. i have no idea on species.

cheers

Eddy
Did you manage to get pics of the spider in question?? or at least a description?

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, we did manage to het pics of both male and female!

it is a funky little species with a triangle on the carapace.

cheers

Eddy

willychon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
amazing photos, it shows that you really enjoyed the trip. I would like to meet you , maybe for the next

{D

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Excellent pics! Does anyone know what that long, thin scorpion in between the tailless whip scorpion and the flower is (at the top)? I've never seen one like it.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent shots Eddy! Looks like you had a great trip: lots of wildlife and your happy faces in the photos...!

The frogs are really cool! the vagans is stunning...

Congrats on the great trip!

Cheers,
Pato

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it was a great trip indeed! i highly doubt we found B. vagans tough.....

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it was a great trip indeed! i highly doubt we found B. vagans tough.....
Glad to hear it was great. With vagans I was talking about the black spider with red abdomen. I know nothing about Brachypelmas! What sp. was that? Beautiful spider whatever she was!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the more Brachypelma i see in the wild, the less i know about them.... for now i just call this one Brachypelma sp.
Hopefully this year i will see real Mexican Brachypelma vagans!

time will tell...

Eddy

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent photos. It's not easy to uncover that many arthropods. How long was the trip and what part of Mexico were you in?

The little turret of dirt reminds me of Pheidole ants in Arizona. The phasmid definitely looks like some relative of Anisomorpha. I'd bet it is capable of spraying.

Really amazing trip and one I'll no doubt take one day. My parents live south of Guadalajara.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Bugs in Cyberspace (?peter).

I was with eddy on this trip, and yes we found many many amazing inverts, nearly all arachnid orders including Schizomida (one of which i dropped and lost, followed quickly by the disgrace of another guy who found it). All we didnt get was Ricinulei and Palpigrada. Agreed on the Anisomorpha being quite probable. Actually we came across a fair few phasmids on this trip (which surprised me), though this was the least stick-like.

Without giving away localities, we were mostly in Oaxaca, and traveled nearly the entire state, but also parts of Puebla and Veracruz states. The end photos are around Mexico city.

Yes, the turrets reminded me/us of those made by ants, but these turrets definitely had a layer of soft silk binding them. I have seen silk turrets of Lycosa in arizona, but these were quite different and the target we were looking for there.

There are some great arachnid people around Guadalajara. Its beautiful there, and some amazing species in that region.