Mexican Red Rump Tarantula Care

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
I cleaned the stick in hot water and made sure there were no parasites in it and setup her small enclosure. I just went and bought some young crickets. Some are too big for her i know but there are some babies that are a little smaller than her, can she safely eat them if i remove their jumping legs so they cant injure her?

cold blood

Staff member
Will this be an ok habitat for her. It is coconut bark and in the corner is some moss for Arachnids that i lightly moistened and a stick from outside. I poked holes in the sides with a pushpin around the top and a few in the lid as well.
Yeah, that will work fine.

I cleaned the stick in hot water and made sure there were no parasites in it and setup her small enclosure. I just went and bought some young crickets. Some are too big for her i know but there are some babies that are a little smaller than her, can she safely eat them if i remove their jumping legs so they cant injure her?
I'm sure the stick is fine, but really with a terrestrial, there shouldn't be a stick to climb on...a flat piece of wood to get under however, isn't a bad idea.

As for feeding, just offer a leg for a meal...or cut it in half and offer the head or abdomen. Dicing mealworms works well for me.

Also keep in mind that when small, they can fill up fast, so it may only take a meal or three before it has its fill and starts refusing food. At that point they may fast a while before molting...how long is totally variant.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have one male that is pretty cool. He grew super fast, which surprised me. He also made a cool burrow down the side of his current enclosure, and darts out to tackle food. Yep, just like cold blood does and he will be a happy little bugger.

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
Update:She has buried herself in the substrate. I believe she is about to start her first molt. Her abdomen is rather dark like it is supposed to be and bigger than her thorax like its supposed to be. She had been fed a baby cricket close to her size when i got her so its very possible she is ready to molt. Time will tell!

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
I would like to update everyone on Cleopatra. She has not began her first molt yet. I checked on her yesterday evening and she had drug one of the pre-killed crickets down into a burrow she has created in the moss in her enclosure. After finishing the cricket she drug it back out and deposited it. I noticed her today out when i peeked into the enclosure and she quickly went into her burrow again. I just would like to verify and make sure, i do not need to try to wet the moss correct because she is getting her fluid intake from her food?