Mexican Red Rump Tarantula Care

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
I just bought a Mexican Red Rump Tarantula Spiderling. I am going to get a deli cup tomorow to put him/her in. I want to know roughly how long will it be before i can place it in the 5.5 gallon terrarium i purchased for it today and it be able to safely survive?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you can put it in at about 5". how long that takes depends on temperatures and feeding frequency.

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
At what size should i remove it from the small deli cup into something else?

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
How big is it now, large deli cup until 3 inches then put into a larger but smaller container I would use a critter keeper I would say medium size then when 4-5 inches it's all good to go into it's permanent home :) hope I helped alittle

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
If you need to find a critte keeper go to Petco or petmsart. They are bad to get animals from but I get my supplies from them(sub. Decor. Food etc.)

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
I actually went today a medium was only 8$ it was on sale so I'm not sure it's normal price

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
Yes, the critter keepers are only $10. Right now the spiderling is about 1inch from front leg to back leg, maybe a tiny bit less. Do i need to put any kind of hiding area in the cup for it or will it be ok in the open? And should i use a dropper to wet the substrate? How will i know if its humid enough. I bought a thermometer and humidity tracker but they are too big for any cup.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
Ok so this is where it may get confusing

I would return the humidity gauge its useless. It will leave you soaking its delicup and terrarium later on killing it. Just put a few drops of water in in the delicup and wait for it to dry completely then do it again. Humidity is pointless imo especially at this stage it will lead to molt issues. When older just overflow the water dish just a tad and don't soak or mist the spider or sub. For decor just put a very small branch in(Mother Nature has a lot) make it appropriate size for the delicup and I would lean it from its sub to a side of the cup

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I use those black film cannisters for small juvis. Use a 16oz deli filled about 3/4 with substrate. Add a small water dish as well. Overflow the dish a bit every week or so. I wouldn't keep it bone dry but pretty close. Anything else is optional. Not many holes are needed in the lid, I'd add maybe 5 small holes. Do not use a kritter keeper yet, at one inch it can slip through the lid.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, the critter keepers are only $10. Right now the spiderling is about 1inch from front leg to back leg, maybe a tiny bit less. Do i need to put any kind of hiding area in the cup for it or will it be ok in the open? And should i use a dropper to wet the substrate? How will i know if its humid enough. I bought a thermometer and humidity tracker but they are too big for any cup.

Don't worry about humidity...its as simple as just keeping part of the substrate damp...when it dries, just apply water.

Keep a dry area and don't soak it, a dropper is a good way to limit over-watering as is a syringe.

5-6 pin holes around the sides and a couple on the lid to prevent condensation and that's it.
View media item 38785
In a molt or two you can put it into a 16oz deli cup, like this...

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
Okay, thanks for the advice! How often and how much and of what do i feed it?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How often and how much and of what do i feed it?
I feed my sling 1-2 times a week, depending on the size of the meal and how big it looks. Try to keep prey smaller than the tarantula, ideally no bigger than the abdomen.

If it's still too skittish to hunt, it will take pre-killed prey (or parts of prey).

Common feeder insects include crickets, feeder roaches, and mealworms. (If using mealworms, always crush the head to prevent the mealworm from burrowing or injuring your tarantula.)

Do not use wild-caught prey, as it may be contaminated with pesticides or infected with parasites.

RLM0501

Arachnopeon
Will this be an ok habitat for her. It is coconut bark and in the corner is some moss for Arachnids that i lightly moistened and a stick from outside. I poked holes in the sides with a pushpin around the top and a few in the lid as well.

Attachments