Megaphobema sp

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anybody keep this genus?

I'm particularly curious about peterklaasi and mesomelas. I read (on the ATS site) that:

1) They are hard to keep in captivity (but it doesn't specify why)
2) If somebody sells you one, you probably are not getting the real deal.

Any special insight?

Thanks,
Kelly O

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have M robustum, and an M mesomelas sling. So far, not hard. I keep it damp, but not wet, and the little thing eats like a horse, and it has not molted yet.
here is a pic of the little cutie

Last edited:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

awww! Its sooo cute! I love the little striping on its lil legs! Great pic holley! How are Megaphobema's sp. temperment? i am pretty interested in them! what is the dif between phamphobetus and megophobemas? Thanks,

James

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
I have M robustum, and an M mesomelas sling. So far, not hard. I keep it damp, but not wet, and the little thing eats like a horse, and it has not molted yet.

How much did you pay for the mesomelas and where did you get it?

Jon

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
James,
I have no Pamphos, so I don't know! But this one is too young to tell. My female M robustum just seems REALLY nervous, but I've never seen a threat position from her. She sticks her abdomen in the air when she feels threatened.
BD,
I don't remember how much I paid, since I bought it in a lot. I got it from Buck Tedrow though. I think I remember getting a damn good deal, but I got 5 spiders that order..so I'm not sure!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nemesis
Does anybody keep this genus?

I'm particularly curious about peterklaasi and mesomelas. I read (on the ATS site) that:

1) They are hard to keep in captivity (but it doesn't specify why)
2) If somebody sells you one, you probably are not getting the real deal.

Any special insight?

Thanks,
Kelly O
I don't have the two that you are particularly interested in, but I do have three adult female m. robustum. the robustum are beautiful t's. they are somewhat skittish, but if given a good hide calm down somewhat IME. they are humidity sensitive and temp. sensitive also. they do not seem to do well with higher temps (high 80's and above IME) I keep them close to the floor in my herp/invert room where it is slightly cooler and the humidity is kept higher with a large water dish that is full at all times and I wet half of the substrate weekly (I am using Forest Bed for substrate). I mated all three females last year with a loaner male from Art, one female has molted since and two others are seemingly getting larger.......
Ed

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
awww! Its sooo cute! I love the little striping on its lil legs! Great pic holley! How are Megaphobema's sp. temperment? i am pretty interested in them! what is the dif between phamphobetus and megophobemas? Thanks,

James
Hi James,
These two genera are closely related, good observations! The best way to tell the difference between these two is to look at femur no. III (third leg from the front, the femur is the first long section of leg coming out from the body, usually the biggest leg section, for a reference, go to my site, I have a page showing the anatomy). On Megaphobema, the femur is quite thick, no so in Pamphobeteus. If you have a look a some pictures of these genera, you'll get an idea.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Great pic Holley. You can see when looking a this photo that M. mesomelas and T. aphophysis have similar coloration traits as juveniles. Theraphosa, Megaphobema, Xenesthis and Pamphobeteus are extremely closely related, all are beautiful, no doubt.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank You, Steve and Holley

Are there any other differences? Are Temperaments about the same?

Kelly O