Megaphobema Robustum Experience

cweg

Arachnopeon
I am thinking about getting one of these. Does anyone have experience raising this species. Temperature? Humidity? Defensiveness? Major burrowing?

Any feed back would be appreciated- cweg

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cannot give you that much info on the species but:

I bought a 1" sling in June 2002 but it died in April 2003 while I was out of town. During that time it ate very well and grew to about 2". I tend to keep my Ts on the cool side since they are in my bedroom but higher temps would probably be better. I found some caresheets which recommended about 80-85% humidity and 75-85F temps. Total adult length (including legs) ranges from 6.5" to 9". To be honest, I'm not too sure they hit 9".

After my sling died, I really had to get another M. robustum (and 5 others, hey, you have to spread out the shipping costs). She is 5" and very nice looking, far better than most photographs show. I bought her from Art Cerda who told me that he tried to mate her but was unsuccessful. He said that the male managed to inseminate her without getting killed but she didn't produce an eggsac.

As far as aggression goes, neither the sling nor the adult were/are very bad. Both threw hairs at me but not much else. They have not tried to hit me with their legs. However, I did not try to handle them so I haven't pushed my luck.

They do not appear to be highly secretive, not like an H. lividum but they do burrow. I saw my new M. robustum roaming around last night, probably looking for food. There were some lights on and she didn't run for cover when I approached the cage, so I am hopeful that I will be able to see her regularly.

This isn't tons of info but for what it's worth...

Karen N.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by cweg
I am thinking about getting one of these. Does anyone have experience raising this species. Temperature? Humidity? Defensiveness? Major burrowing?

Any feed back would be appreciated- cweg
I have two WC females whom I've kept for a few years now. I've also had one male, now deceased. IME, the defensive tendencies of this species are much exaggerated. I found them slightly skittish (the male more so than the females), but none of them has ever attempted to bite even when handled. The male did the "spinning wheel of death" maneuver on me the first time I had to handle him (to mate him with one of my females), and he also urticated a little on this and and a few subsequent occasions, but he soon became accustomed to handling and gave no more trouble.

I keep my females at a slightly elevated temp (high 70's) and humidity (roughly the same, but I don't obsess about it. I just keep a little moisture in the bottom layers of substrate and a large water dish on hand). They do like to burrow IME, but are not usually too reclusive except around molting time, when they may disappear for a month or two. This is a very beautiful species and one of my favorites.

Joy

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
great pic as always joy :)

they're a great species! Joy pretty much covered it all, so no sense beating a dead horse!

get 3 of them.. you can never have too many, no matter what the girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/roomate/parent says!

peace
dave

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have three adult females, I had Art's male on loan and he (the male robustum, not Art) managed to get good hookups with all three of my females. all three of the females have since molted. they seem somewhat humidity sensitive. I keep a full water dish at all times in their enclosure. I have them on the bottom shelf in my herp/invert room as it seems they don't care for the summer temps in the 90's here. they were extremely skittish when I first got them as they were housed in small shoebox type enclosures with no hide. I rehoused them into large kritter keepers and they have a rectangular 2" section of plastic raingutter for a hide. the raingutter is situated lengthwise in the kritter keeper and there is a 2" entrance hole in the top. substrate is added to the top of the raingutter. this type of hide works well with the only problems being cleaning out molts, boluses, etc. it is easy to check on the robustums by looking at them from either end of the raingutter through the kritter keeper. if needed I can post a pic to clarify this type of setup. they usually are hearty eaters (although mine have yet to reach the immense proportions that Joy's have). I have found them to try and hide first, then if bothered more they will unleash a virtual cloud of urticating hairs. the urticating hairs are released by a slow abdomen rub, none of the frantic rubbing of brachypelmas, etc. I have never seen mine exhibit the twirling defense.
:D
Ed

Last edited:

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
M. robustums

Bringing it full circle, here is a pic of the very same couple during our breeding attempts. The male was fresh and bred with 5 females! Hard ones to breed but a personal favorite! I've found the slings to be a bit more difficult to raise as well.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: M. robustums

Originally posted by Midwest Art
I've found the slings to be a bit more difficult to raise as well.

N-Joy
Art
Ok, what is it about Megaphobema s'lings that makes them hard to raise? Does this also apply to mesomelas? I really want to get one of those.

Jon

Joy and Art: Pretty Spiders!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I agree with Joy...mine is very skittish, but hasn't bitten (yet!)

Last edited:

cweg

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the Info everybody...........

I shall see what I get............