Meet Trogdor!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just got a new friend yesterday at the Portland Metro Reptile Expo. Hadogenes troglodytes had been on my wish-list for a while, and this one was too cute to pass up. He sure liked his mealworm when we got home!

Bonus points to whoever knows the significance of his name. :D

zoom

zoom

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice new pet I love the color.

Is this good for the bonus points? TROGDOR THE BURNiNATOR :D Again I love the color...

Last edited:

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am so glad I pointed that guy out to you!

Cuteness for a scorp!

Hannes

Arachnopeon
Nice pics......, but are you sure its H.troglodytes? I have a about 5 H.troglodytes and none of them has those greenish bands. The only one I've seen with those bands is H.bicolor, in some areas in S.A. they are called "giant banded flat rock scorpion".

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics......, but are you sure its H.troglodytes? I have a about 5 H.troglodytes and none of them has those greenish bands. The only one I've seen with those bands is H.bicolor, in some areas in S.A. they are called "giant banded flat rock scorpion".
I was curious after your post 'Hannes' so I googled it and here is a pic link to a H troglodytes from the scorpion files, and another H troglodytes also from SF, they have the greenish tint. Gotta say I love that color.

And here is an interesting excerpt from the General: subheading at the bottom of the Hadogenes troglodytes page. "Some scorpions sold in the pet trade as H. bicolor is probably H. troglodytes, which is found in several color forms (Dr. Lorenzo Prendini, pers. comm.). ... H. bicolor is quite rare, and is probably not found in the pet trade at all." found at this URL --> http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/h_troglodytes.htm :D

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This as of recently has annoyed me greatly, over here I constantly see H. bicolor/ H. paudicens for sale as as H. troglodytes.
I'm sorry to say yours is deffinately not H. trog , troglodytes tend to be brown/bronze/black coloured.

Hannes

Arachnopeon
I'm sure you're right, its just that I haven't seen that color form yet. I agree, she is very beautiful. What you can do to be sure is to see if the first tail segment is flattened from side to side (i.e. laterally), in which case it is higher than it is wide. That would definitly place her in the H.troglodytes group. If this segment is flattened from the top and bottom (i.e. dorsoventrally), and is wider than high, that puts her into H. bicolor/granulatus group.
Well good luck with her, their very cool scorps and if look after them they can live for many years.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, poop. :(

This makes the significance of the name not as cool.

But to be fair, there was no latin name on it when I bought it. It just said "African Flat-Rock Scorpion."

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, poop. :(

This makes the significance of the name not as cool.

But to be fair, there was no latin name on it when I bought it. It just said "African Flat-Rock Scorpion."
i believe the commonly accepted name for this sp. is olive-keeled flatrock scorpion.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dang. Thanks everyone, though, for clarifying. Just so I know for future reference, how do I tell H. paucidens apart from H. troglodytes? And can I still get away with the name Trogdor?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see what you mean. I just got excited when I saw a squished-looking scorpion labelled "African Flat-Rock." Maybe I should feel special that mine has those green bands (they are pretty cool-looking now that I think about it :D).

So now that I feel slightly less embarassed at my having been foiled again, I have a few questions that I wouldn't have had before. Does this species live as long as troglodytes? Also, does it get as large?

And I'm guessing I've got a girl . . . Trogdina, maybe :rolleyes:.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yours is adult, they don't get as big as H. trog and are generally long lived.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you should re-name it Hodge Podge :) and IMO it is a much nicer looking scorp.. though it always sucks to not have what u thought u had.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, that does suck. I was hoping for something that would rival my emps in size.

Sigh.

Don't worry, though, she(?) won't be unloved just because I was expecting a different species. This one's got cooler coloration.

And now I have an excuse to go get another scorp! :D {D I'm only at four, as is.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey, don't be upset that it's a paucidens and not a trog.
I had the chance to buy both recently and thought the paucidens were cuter, so that's what I bought.
I think yours has another molt before it's an adult actually. I bought 2 that were the same size as yours and one ate a few large meals and I was sure it was gravid, it was very fat. It just molted this week and is now skin and bones again:p .