mealworms - superworms

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can anyone tell me what the heck a mealworm is?
i mean is it a larvae for some insect or what?
are superworms just big mealworms or are they a different species all together?:?
also...can you feed them to make them bigger or last longer?? what do you feed them?

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone tried feeding wax worms? I havent seen any of these in any other pet shop but the one by my place. They are pretty much just large, fat, white caterpillers, that are harmless. They're good food for other pets, would they be ok for T's?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
some of my Ts LOVE waxworms. They are very soft and harmless, and yummy! (so my Ts say anyway!)
Also, my daughter loves to play with them. So much, in fact, I think she just may have killed most of them off, due to too much handling, and the famous 'Waxworm Math' :)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i checked out the rainbow mealworms site and they have pictures and they sell the worms but they still dont tell me what they are???
i have bought both mealworms and superworms but i dont know what kind of creatures they are.....what species, etc....
do these guys turn into beatles or what????

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
well i checked out the rainbow mealworms site and they have pictures and they sell the worms but they still dont tell me what they are???
i have bought both mealworms and superworms but i dont know what kind of creatures they are.....what species, etc....
do these guys turn into beatles or what????
Both are the larvae of beetles. Mealworms are Tenebrio molitor and superworms are Zophobus morio. If the beetles have a common name, I don't know it.

I have used waxworms, too. Unlike mealworms and superworms, they are harmless (unless you're a beekeeper) and can be left with the tarantula without precautions such as containment or decapitation. Not all of my T's will eat them, but my P. imperators are unanimous in enjoying them!

Joy

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Worms

I have tried super worms for my T but the dawg gone things burrow to fast. Drives me nuts! I have decided to stick to crickets and pinkies and I still plan to try the beefheart thing.

Come to think of it I have not tried feeding super worms to my A seemani yet. Maybe I'll give them a shot with her but my G rosea would just sit there and watch them burrow. :mad:

-Charlie

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mealworms are larvae of the Darkling beetle.....I don't know about Superworms.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: Worms

Originally posted by Charlie
I have tried super worms for my T but the dawg gone things burrow to fast. Drives me nuts! I have decided to stick to crickets and pinkies and I still plan to try the beefheart thing.

Come to think of it I have not tried feeding super worms to my A seemani yet. Maybe I'll give them a shot with her but my G rosea would just sit there and watch them burrow. :mad:

-Charlie
Charlie and all,
I have found that *some* of my Ts just LOVE to dig for the worms! They will let the worm completely bury itself, then legs start flying, and bingo! they grab that worm right out of the soil!
It's really cool to watch them dig! Then again, some of them ignore completely, and I find a beetle a few days later.
I will only feed superworms if I know a t is nowhere near a molt.
I just depise crickets so much

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Superworms

I'd avoid feeding mealworms or superworms to any T. I've heard of too many horror stories of T's lost during shed because they were munched on by a superworm. Roaches are also risky as they will burrow into the substrate and remain hidden until the tarantula is in shed then you could have problems. I only feed adult roaches to my T's, something about the wings attracts T's to them. I get less of a feeding response from inmature/wingless roaches, ...stealth roaches that quickly burrow.

Waxworms are much safer.

N-Joy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
I gave up worms of any kind a long time ago.
I with Iam on this,
As much as I dislike crickets, my T's always eat them. And like Art said, why take the risk on feeders that could harm your T's by hideing out till the T is on its back.:mad:

Ernie