Mealworm Questions

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
Greetings Arachnoboards!

I have a two question for you all:

1. After taking a mealworm out of the refrigerator, how long does it take to warm up to room temperature or a temperature that my T will find desirable?

1. I have a 3 y/o Brachypelma and they eat mealworms regularly about two per week. However, rarely do I find a mealworm carcass! What is going on? Where does the mealworm carcass go?

Thanks!

fq314

Arachnosquire
1. I find that after an hour or two the mealworms are a good enough temp.

2. The mealworm either turns into a small, inobvious bolus or gets buried under the substrate.

Last edited:

sparticus

Arachnoknight
1) I am lazy and feed them out pretty much straight out of the fridge. My spiders don't care. Worms will wiggle when you smash their head and that gets the spider's attention.
2) mealworms don't seem to have a lot of bulky undigestable parts, so the leftovers are minimal. It is a much smaller, less noticeable bolus than one from a dubia roach would be.

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
I take them out and wait until they start to move. Or, I cut off the head right away.

Mealworms are small, there might not be much left after all that suction action except dry thin skin that is pretty much brownish see through. If you have seen the tarantula eating, then the mealworm is not lurking deep in the substrate.

Your spider must have a spot where it leaves all it's leftovers. They will end up piling up. Then you might notice it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Greetings Arachnoboards!

I have a two question for you all:

1. After taking a mealworm out of the refrigerator, how long does it take to warm up to room temperature or a temperature that my T will find desirable?

1. I have a 3 y/o Brachypelma and they eat mealworms regularly about two per week. However, rarely do I find a mealworm carcass! What is going on? Where does the mealworm carcass go?

Thanks!
Bolas if it eats it , if not they dig away and vanish . I’ve never seen remains from a larger t , it either goes in water dish or too small too notice.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
2 a week seems excessive.

They might be burrowing into the substrate.