mealworm over crickets?

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
recently, i have developed this laziness of taking care of my breeding colony of crickets and switch to mealworms instead. is that ok? what are the pros and cons of an all mealworm diet compared to an all cricket diet?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only thing bad that I can think of is there is some evidence that a diet with to much fat content is bad in the long run for the T, but I dont know of any formal studies that have been done proving that, Better safe then sorry I guess.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if only i could breed dubia roaches.. i can't get a hold of those because i know my mom will freak out when she sees i breed roaches.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
also, don't mealworms have a greater moisture content than crickets? of course, they are a bit more fattening than crickets, I think they also provide more moisture.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It used to be 10+ years ago that the only store bought food available for T's were mealworms. Anyone that says that have had a T for beyond that probably only fed them mealies for most of thier diet. That being said, meal-worms can't be all that bad !

Plus my T's LOVE the beetles !

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i started to use mealworms for my slings and juvs and so far they seem to be growing qicker but that could be that i through quite a few in it also saves time

R.HENNING

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have used mealworms for 30yrs.+ , no trouble.
Have raised spiderlings from first feeding to sub adult.
then switched to other bugs and inverts.:rolleyes:

The only thing you have to watch out for is if the spider is in pre
molt. Have seen a mealworm a few times kill and eat a fresh molted
spider. (some of my own & other peoples spiders)
So keep a watch when throwing in extra mealworms in the cage.
I only throw in what the spider will eat in front of me or within a
short time.

Last edited:

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most of my t's will not touch meal worms, because they don't move enough or something. They are just not interested. I think crickets are the way to go. More nutrition, maybe?