Mealworm beatles

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hey y'all, I was kind of wantin to start breeding mealworms. Just wonderin how big they get before they pupate into beetles? And can you feed the beetles to your tarantulas? Thanks everybody!!

SonnyAZ

Arachnopeon
I don't know about their growth rate or breeding. However, I have had some burrow into the substrate and emerge as beetles and I have never seen any of my Ts touch them at that point, they just ignore them.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 2 cm heteroscodra maculata sling seems to enjoy them. In fact, it seems to prefer them to the worms themselves and/or small crickets. Go figure.

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Some desert geckos will eat the beetles, but they seem to prefer them in their pale, soft phase right after they've emerged from the pupa.

Mealworms are easy to breed, you'll have plenty. :)

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some desert geckos will eat the beetles, but they seem to prefer them in their pale, soft phase right after they've emerged from the pupa.

Mealworms are easy to breed, you'll have plenty. :)
Agreed.
Even when you starve them, they find a way to keep breeding...{D
My Ts will eat the beetles, but only while they are still soft.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Lol on my reptile forum they say you have to work harder to keep them from breeding :p

asher

Arachnosquire
How fast they reproduce and develop depends on the temperature you keep them at. At room temperature I'd say 2-3 weeks would be enough for a full cycle, but I may be wrong.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah the mealworms....i looked it up again and found where they shouldnt be fed as beetles, but not that theyre toxic....sooooo im not sure.....sorry

I don't think so, considering the mealworms are often eaten.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How fast they reproduce and develop depends on the temperature you keep them at. At room temperature I'd say 2-3 weeks would be enough for a full cycle, but I may be wrong.
I wish. I breed them and 2-4 MONTHS is correct for the time it takes an egg to mature into a reproducing beetle.

Rangerl

Arachnopeon
nope.. My Chillian Rose just ignored the mealworm in any case and it became a beatle in her cage as I couldn't find it.. oh well.... so much for trying.

asher

Arachnosquire
I wish. I breed them and 2-4 MONTHS is correct for the time it takes an egg to mature into a reproducing beetle.
Really? I'm sure mine aren't more than a month. I haven't investigated this though, so I could be wrong.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ditto. I use no heating on mine though. I'd consider 2 months a miracle at room temp. lol
I'm sure at 90 or so (or just putting a heat pad under the container) you could get adults in as little as 2 months, though.