Me Handling My Heterometrus longimanus (borneensis) - Video

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check the pectines, should be interesting to see if it is indeed a female.
Heh . . . guess what I did today?

It's a boy. :rolleyes:

It's too bad you said it's not the same species as Thaedion's -- it would be exciting to do a breeder exchange.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since it is a male without the elongated chela, I guess it would be safe to call it a H. spinifer?

Mike

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I s'pose so. I didn't know they got that big.

Now I feel kinda dumb for paying $30 for a "possibly gravid Heterometrus sp" that turned out to be a male spinifer -- when they had spinifers at the next booth for only $9.

:rolleyes:

Hair8legs

Arachnopeon
well, my two Emps get along just fine in their encloser, but there was this one incident I'll never repeat; one of my cats braught in this great big smooth bodied beatle of some type and I put it in there with them to hunt.
after a while the big guy, "Big Chief" caught and for a while just crunched on the thing! I could here it in another room! well the little guy kept trying to steel a piece of it and they kept fighting over the meal! so after an hour of this I got too worried for the little guy and just gave him a big juicy mealworm and they stoped fighting. so I guess as long as their all fed well there wont be any proplems... I've heard some will fight for territory but mine live in the same little hide away and were purchased as a pair from the store.

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Um . . . gravedig much? :p

Thaedion hasn't been around much lately, but to answer your question, H. longimanus just gets pretty dang big.

Oh, and a few updates since this thread was last commented on -- I mis-sexed mine because apparently huge scorpion = huge pectines, even on females. Mine gave birth in November 2007, but all the young died. Thaedion's also gave birth to an enormous brood. He sent me 10 of the young, of which I still have eight, and they're still on the small side.

My female is still alive and well.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Old thread but, oh well. Just wanted to say I bought a male and a female around 2007 too and she had babies about 2 years ago(?). They are still on the small side too, looks like almost 2 inches each. If they were emps they'd be a lot bigger by now ..sold as longimanus but still not 100% about that. She died and is frozen in time(the freezer). The male is still alive and well. The male is A LOT bigger. Anybody know who I could send the female to for ID? Somebody that KNOWS how to tell the diff between spinifer and longimanus?