Mature Male Hibernation?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Hello Arachnoreaders,
I was curious if it was possible to hibernate a MM until a female is ready to mate (i.e. needs to molt or some other unforeseen bump in the road). I know it is possible to feed minimally and increase a male's lifespan, but what if you put them in the fridge or your nice and cold Ohio garage? Would that kill him, or just put him in a coma? BTW, I have no intention of doing this, I am just curious as to if anyone has done it or has information on it.
Thanks,
Dan

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mm

His clock is ticking ( PERIOD! ). If you can't use him I suggest sending him along to someone who could use him.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
{D{D{D. I don't actually have a mature male. So you can't freeze them like Austin Powers and have them come out and save the world:?? Bummer:)...

--Dan

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
If you are waiting on the upcoming molt for a female, you could feed a penultimate male minimally, then just powerfeed him when the female is ready to force his ultimate molt. As far as lower temps slowing growth, it works in juvies, so I don't see why it would'nt slow a mature males growth a bit. As far as lengthening the lifespan of a MM, who knows? Sounds like risky business to me, so I'll have to leave that up to someone else to experiment with!

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am keeping a small handful of MM's on the bottom shelf, to keep them a bit cooler, and feeding them alot less, in hopes it will slow down their progression.....waiting some females to molt, and i want these guys around when they do!....seems to be working jus fine.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I am keeping a small handful of MM's on the bottom shelf, to keep them a bit cooler, and feeding them alot less, in hopes it will slow down their progression.
+1...I would just keep it a few degrees cooler and slow down the feeding. I would think the fridge is too cold.