Mantis Shrimp Are Awesome!

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our zoo has one but I've never seen it eat. That was cool.
One of the keepers was telling me that the force of their strike equals the force of a 22c handgun.

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are wicked :D

I've long been toying with the idea of setting up a nano tank for one of these...

Apparently, they're rather intelligent too.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i love them too, i had 1 in a plastic tank(they break glass tanks) very cool animal! the thing would eat anything.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I always wanted one, but the thought of setting up and maintaining a SW tank, just for one little animal has put that prodject on hold.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pretty cool.im always checkin out the saltwater tanks when i get crickets at my local shop.they have something like this there not sure of species tho

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had a 'guest' one sneak in with some live rock, had a hell of a time catching it.
When I finally got the thing in a compromised position all I had on hand to scoop it into was my seatest hydrometer. I can tell you first hand, they can break plastic too, though probably not aquarium thickness acrylic. Don't think I'd trust one in a critter keeper type setup...

Bill

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a nanocube set up for one, it is a yellow Pseudosquilla ciliata. I really think they are amazing little creatures. I will try to get some pictures.

mike

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a nanocube set up for one, it is a yellow Pseudosquilla ciliata. I really think they are amazing little creatures. I will try to get some pictures.

mike
yeah the yellow ones do great in the nanos,i'm looking to get that ssp. the 1 i had was the colorful peacock mantis,really big,great shrimp.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That was a very entertaing video, the music matched it perfectly. That mantis shrimp sure had some amazing colors to it. Thanks for sharing.

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya very cool. never seen these guys before but now i am super impressed.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't done the salt water thing either because of the maintenance issue. But I like the little tanks I've seen in a pet store around here. I found a mantis shrimp on the beach when I was about 10. It was completely white and soft, prob just molted. My little bro found a small Blue crab. We took them both home but my dad insisted we put them in the same bucket on the way home and the shrimp got eaten:mad: . I see these pretty often at bait shops along the coast. Every once in a while, one will get caught in the shrimp nets. A cheap way to acquire one if you can get one at a bait shop that way. They'd probably give it to you. I've always wanted one too but just never have done it.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well saltwater is really not hard at all(i thought so awhile back) ive got 6 setups, mostly inverts, but some fish aswell morays/stonefish and i really don't do alot of maintence on them. ofcourse i do some filters/water chemistry but it's not alot of work and being they are not huge systems either,you should give it a try.you'll be glad ya did:D

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen these while snorkeling on St. Croix, and once captured one when it hid in a shell, and kept it in a tank for a few days, got to see it snap up a few small fish I managed to catch, it was awesome. Would love to have a good set up for one here at home but I don't want to deal with salt water... perhaps someday.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea those things are cool. Reminds me of crayfish I used to have which were fun to watch.