Mantids

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok i know nothing of these but seen them in a few online shopsand i always had a semi interest in them i was wondering do they make good pets? IE interesting to watch, can they be handled etc thanks for the info ppl :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The big problem with mantids as pets is their short life span. Most live less than a year from hatching to adulthood. Most hobbyists who work with them breed them, which is the only way to keep them long term. Raising mantids is much more labor intensive than raising tarantulas. Mantid nymphs require frequent feeding, many species prefer flying prey and all nymphs need really tiny insects. I don't know if you're familliar with the reptile hobby, but I compare raising mantids to raising chameleons. They're both beutiful and interesting animals to keep if you've got the time to give them, but if you've got alot of other animals to care for it may be difficult. They're fairly delicate, as far as handling is concernced. Generally, it's OK to let them walk onto your hand, but they do not deal with getting picked up very well.

Wade

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they dont require handling,

but they do seem to like it. As nymphs, they tend to run away/jump away though, and as far as feeding is concerned, i let most of my nymphs cannablise and chuck in a fruit fly culture, it seems to do them well. I just act like mother nature, seeing as im not looking to make any £'s from it :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
we have big green ones in our backyard, so we usually catch one, keep it for a few weeks, and let it go. It's a great way to observe them, without all the hassle!
They don't seem to mind handling, in fact their heads with those big eyes just follow you around...it's really cool!