Man this really sucks...

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just went to go Check on my 5.5" Female Brachypelma smithi...and well i just found her dead.:( I have No idea what caused it,she has been acting weird from when I got her.She would always Flair her fangs out for no reason,and the past few weeks,she's been walking with a limp.I dont think it could be old age,but she was a Massive B smithi.I know it wasent nematodes,but i'm starting to think she may have had DKS.I'll post a picture later if any one's interested in seeing her.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dang man, sorry for your loss.

I had a DKS epidemic a few months back. I changed a bunch of things in my room and house and it seems to have gone away. No more Frontline for the dogs. No more automatic spray air freshner in the T room. And I don't use tap water for that matter (used to).

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I had a DKS epidemic a few months back. I changed a bunch of things in my room and house and it seems to have gone away. No more Frontline for the dogs. No more automatic spray air freshner in the T room. And I don't use tap water for that matter (used to).
Yeah man, i'm starting to think i may have got her like this,I bought her last January at a reptile expo for 100.00,which i thought was a steal at the time, but i cant recall one time she's actually ate since i had her.I thought she may have just been fasting like some T's do,but the last 3 weeks she has been kinda limping when she walked.The only recent change thats really happened to her was i gave her some Dasani bottled water not long ago. Which i'm sure wouldnt have done anything.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DKS is a lot more flamboyant than a limp though. It shows. It looks like the T is have some sort of leg spaz attack everytime it moves.

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

That's funny. A "few months back" I called you on your consistent "DKS" claims, and you begged to differ. You didn't have a DKS epidemic! I suspect most do not. Instead you used all the things (frontline, air freshners, etc..) everyone suggests that you don't, and experienced deaths related to them. Now that you decided to quit using these chemicals, your "DKS" epidemic had subsided.

Do you realize how ridiculous your post sounds? If needed I can dig up the posts from a "few months back"?

Last edited:

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's funny. A "few months back" I called you on your consistent "DKS" claims, and you begged to differ. You didn't have a DKS epidemic! I suspect most do not. Instead you used all the things (frontline, air freshners, etc..) everyone suggests that you don't, and experienced deaths related to them. Now that you decided to quit using these chemicals, your "DKS" epidemic had subsided.

Do you realize how ridiculous your post sounds? If needed I can dig up the posts from a "few months back"?
I don't know for what reason you seem to be holding this hostility towards me. I never did anything to you. I never put your name down or discounted you in anyway. So I feel like this is very unwarranted.

I am not a fan of such perceived elitism on forums like this. It is bound to happen if a board gets big enough. But it's not a good thing. I also do not know what you hope to gain from trying to rise this argument from me. But I am not going to bite.

Let me say this, I have never once deemed myself an expert in tarantula keeping or an entomologist, diagnosing conditions based on symptoms that tarantulas have. There's no doubt about it, I am more experienced with tarantulas now than I was six months ago, when I was very concerned with what was going on with my T's. But especially back then, I was a brand new T owner trying to find solutions to my problem.

As far as you "calling me" on my consistent "DKS" claimsit seems to me, as it was before, that you have some sort of predisposition to the Arachnid hobbyist manufactured term "DKS". I believe it was you that once said to me it's a set of symptoms, not an actual medically diagnosed syndrome. The fact of the matter is that these seem to be pet peeves of yours. If it was me in your situation, I'd be more apt to help people solve said problems rather than argue semantics with them. But to each his own, as they say.

I know I'm not the only person on Arachnoboards who posted with DKS related concerns that you jumped all over, talking about how it's not a syndrome and it's a matter of what is going on in the environment you are providing for your tarantulas.

I agree with you on the latter half of the above statement. People who have this problem do need to re-evaluate the conditions their T's live in. That's what I did and it seems like it solved my problems. All in all your response seems pretty hostile and mostly seems based on you perhaps being irritated at my use of the term "DKS" and the word "epidemic".

I guess you can go ahead and dig up your posts. If it makes you feel better or what have you. I derive no satisfaction from drama like this. So I'm not really interested in having an Arachno-argument, or something like that. If you instead would like to talk about these negative feelings you seem to have towards me, feel free to send me a PM and we can talk it out man to man.

Last edited: