Mama spider pic

cyborg

Arachnopeon

This is a mother spider I found with her egg sacs in a building. I took this picture and showed it to someone who said theyd get some one to get rid of her... So I decided to rescue her. I named her Zekora. I put her and the eggsacs in a container. However, I kept the container outside safe under my deck because the spiderlings once hatched would be able to escape through the air holes, considering how small Zekora was. Anyway, after a couple of weeks i think it was, i was able to witness a bunch of new-born spiderlings. However, I did not get a good picture of that because they were too small and my camera wasnt cooperating with me.

Also, I have a question;
Can anyone identify this species?
She was very small and on the top of her abdomen had little white dots.
Also, I found her in Ontario, Canada. If that helps at all...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not a Geometricus. Egg sack's wrong.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
No guesses? I'm really curious what you have there. Would it be possible to get another, better picture? I'm really hoping one of the hot shots of this forum will weigh in.
My wild guess is a Steatoda, going by that rounded bottom.
OP, have a look at these. Similar? http://bugguide.net/node/view/6926
PS You can't go by coloration with a steatoda as they vary drastically. You need to go by the shape, the legs, and if possible, the eyes and tiny things like the dorsal line.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I believe that is a steatoda by the sacks. We have hundreds of those around our house, all with similar sacks. They all look and act like steatoda, so I'm inclined to believe they are.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I believe that is a steatoda by the sacks. We have hundreds of those around our house, all with similar sacks. They all look and act like steatoda, so I'm inclined to believe they are.
:arghh: I've never seen in person a steadota or brown widow. Not fair!