Male sling behavior theory

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I've decided to officially take note of my slings different behavior in accordance of what sex they turn out to be.

It started with me noticing a pattern. All my slings and young juvies that wander around their enclosure day by day have turned out to be males.

More than one species of T has done this behavior and ended up male. My list so far is-
GBB
G actaeon
G pulchripes
G rosea
S santa catalina
B horrida
B albiceps
B hamorii
P dominican purple

The slings and juvies that tend to sit in one place 95% of the time have ended up being females.

Not that this is super important or a solid study, but I've gotten so many males. Maybe if I use this pattern of observation when picking out my next young tarantula, I'll end up with more females.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
According to what you said, that would make my sling a male!
But I have to wait a billion years to find out because he is one of those slow-growing species.

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
I've decided to officially take note of my slings different behavior in accordance of what sex they turn out to be.

It started with me noticing a pattern. All my slings and young juvies that wander around their enclosure day by day have turned out to be males.

More than one species of T has done this behavior and ended up male. My list so far is-
GBB
G actaeon
G pulchripes
G rosea
S santa catalina
B horrida
B albiceps
B hamorii
P dominican purple

The slings and juvies that tend to sit in one place 95% of the time have ended up being females.

Not that this is super important or a solid study, but I've gotten so many males. Maybe if I use this pattern of observation when picking out my next young tarantula, I'll end up with more females.
According to what you said, that would make my sling a male!
But I have to wait a billion years to find out because he is one of those slow-growing species.
I guess my baby LP will DEFO turn out to be a male if this is true 😅 my A Genic, Nhandu Carapoensis, T Vagans, T Verdezi and my H A Palladius scorpion fit this category too 😅

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
@Mustafa67 please feel free to update this thread as you find out their sex! The more that participate, the better.

If all those do end up as male, you'd have about the same luck as I do! 😆

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
If any truth to this x 3 Grammostola anthracina slings I have are testosterone fuelled super males! They are nuts! Nothing like the SAF I have. TBH I got 3 as wanted at least one male any more females would be a bonus I guess

Chelicerae size is a better theory IME. 😉

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Oh yes, almost forgot about the chel size theory. I'll try to incorporate chel size into my 'study' as well!
Good input

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My sub adult males are less active then my female Ts . chel size theory isn’t as easy as just sexing the molt so I don’t bother guessing but I was right on my Phamphos . A male could still have unusual large fangs .

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Maybe Spiderling Size could correspond to Sexing.
Males usually mature faster and have less time to get there..
Females then, taking longer to grow and reach maturity would be smaller relative to hatchmates, siblings.
Then again... Females often grow larger then Males.
Speculation at best
I do kinda like your Nester vs Wanderer Query however.
Too many Variables and Uncontrollable Outside Influences that could affect the outcome of Determining Spider Sex..
lol

Last edited:

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
i like the theorie that their behavior is shaped by their prior experiences better...

3 slings in the mothers burrow...
one turns cannibal, one is eaten & one escapes cannibalism

so you end up with one bold spider, and one timid one...

if they had been seperated the third may have turned out the calm and collected one

whichever trait is suited to the environment survives, the bold one may have become prey by beeing spotted by a bird...

without the cannibalistic one the timid one may not have noted the danger and may have become bold itself

etc. etc.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
That's a really really interesting theory! I love the conversation on this thread as I find tarantula behavior fascinating. We will probably never understand it, but it sure is fun to try.