Male PINKTOE or is it???

gbrads2007

Arachnopeon
Today i purchased a very small pinktoe in very bad condition. When i got him home i noticed that two legs and a pedipulp where dameged and i was very angry as to how the shop had looked after him. Anyway looking closer i noticed some very small hooks on his to front legs. This pinktoe is only about 3" in size and i thought that spiders would only develope sexual organs at maturity. The hooks are used to pin down the female right??? this would meen its a male. Why does a spider this small already have this??? Please could someone help.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pictures would really help in this case. But yes hooks would be a sign that he is mature. Are you sure you don't see male bits tucked back on the palps? They are easily hidden with these guys. When you say the palps were damaged what do you mean?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Today i purchased a very small pinktoe in very bad condition. When i got him home i noticed that two legs and a pedipulp where dameged and i was very angry as to how the shop had looked after him. Anyway looking closer i noticed some very small hooks on his to front legs. This pinktoe is only about 3" in size and i thought that spiders would only develope sexual organs at maturity. The hooks are used to pin down the female right??? this would meen its a male. Why does a spider this small already have this??? Please could someone help.
they mature little sometimes

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can you see if his pedipalps have pink toes on them? usually when they mature the pink toe on the pedipalp goes away.
Tay
Pictures would be great.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's a MM. A small one, but that boy needs some lovin'.

gbrads2007

Arachnopeon
I was convinced also that it is a male but his size made me a bit confused. He is very small indeed. Almost to small to be mature. Thanks for your reply.

gbrads2007

Arachnopeon
How Long

If he has reached maturity how long will he live and do you think he will be capable for breeding being so small??.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He's in pretty rough shape, and no telling when he hooked out. But if he is a recently hooked out male, and were bred with a small female, perhaps he might stand a chance, but when my last male A avi hooked out he was right at about 5" and took on any large female without ending up as a meal.

GL with the lil guy

PIG-

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep, definitely a MM, no bout 'a doubt it. I hate to say it but, adding to your point that it was taken care of poorly i'd point out that it looks like your lil guy has mites all over his chelicerae. Poor lil guy...

My guess is that he has a few months to go, say 4-8 months left? Totally a guess but he doesn't look fresh. Kinda skinny. Enjoy him while you have him.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MM A.Avics are usually not very big. I've seen them as small as 3". Its not uncommon. He looks pretty beat up.

gbrads2007

Arachnopeon
Shock

Would you beleive that this little guy was sold to me yesturday by a well respected pet supplier called blooms garden centre. They may have knowledge about fluffy little bunny's but looking at this poor little guy they shoul'nt be allowed to sell spiders when they know nothing at all about them. Its actually very sad how they let him get into this state. Maybe the spider supplier himself may need a lesson in caring for these guys.

Last edited:

Tuwin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How much did you pay for it? Take it back. That's a MM for sure

gbrads2007

Arachnopeon
I payed £20 pound for him. They wanted 27 but i noticed the damage and told them id take him for 20. He was also being kept dry. The pot was not missted and he had no water in his bowl. I would rather keep him than take him back.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I payed £20 pound for him. They wanted 27 but i noticed the damage and told them id take him for 20. He was also being kept dry. The pot was not missted and he had no water in his bowl. I would rather keep him than take him back.
you should let them know he is a mature male and on deaths door not only form insanely poor husbandry but because he has had his last molt and would only live a few months with the best of care. maybe you can talk them into giving a refund or at least partial. or get some supplies for refund.