male maturity after moult?

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know this is probably a stupid question, but after a male T moults and gets its tibial spurs and "boxing gloves", does that mean that it was its ultimate moult?

I am asking cuz we have a N. Chromatus that has the spurs and bulbous pedipalps, but he doesnt look nearly full grown....

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know this is probably a stupid question, but after a male T moults and gets its tibial spurs and "boxing gloves", does that mean that it was its ultimate moult?
Yes...that final molt pretty much tips the hourglass. I had a Ceratogyrus brachycephalus molt out at 2", and was pretty much in denial about why he look so weird afterwards :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are 100% correct, now he begins searching for love, ignoring food, and well turning a big corner in his life cycle. Best find him a lover!

The size of a male even in the same species can vary somewhat. I have had some of my male smithis be around 5" and sometimes I have the freak 6"+ mature male. There is no set size for a mature male, tons of conditions go into determining size.

On a side note mature males even if not used for breedings are great pets. The just wont last to much longer.....2+ years on the long side, but more often then not 6-12 months. If mated somewhat less of a chance on making it that long only because they run the chance at become lunch for some big mean female.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yes, that is their final molt (probably). It is mature, and ready to roll. After he hardens, find him a girlfriend.:)

Yeah, males can surprise you with their small size sometimes.

-Sean

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kind of disappointing....from what I have read, the adults can get 8"....this skinny butt is about 4.5" or so.....

From the collection we bought 2 weeks ago, it seems like most of em are mature males! Yaaaarg