Male Chilean Rose

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi all,
I went to a local pet shop yesterday and what did I find? A mature Chilean Rose tarantula. He is about 4.5 inches accross and has the tibial spurs and boxing glove-like front paws.
I thought about purchasing him to mate with my Chilean Rose, but don't think she is ready. (She is still recoving from a bad molt, and I don't want to put her through the strains of mating/egg laying)
Am I being over-protective of my Rose? or do you think I should give it a try?
Ralph

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I always go with the side of caution, its not worth losing a loved pet. I'm sure you will have other chances to buy male rosies. But thats just my opinion.

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, if you do mate them, that would be a great thing for the hobby. Captive Bred Chillean Roses aren't very common. The more, the better. In fact, if you do get them to hatch, you should raise them and sell them to pet companies and distributors to keep them from purchasing the bound-to-become CITES wildcaughts. Just an idea... Of course, it might be counterproductive to do that, since they are going to buy wildcaught everything else anyway. But, it's an idea.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with rknralf. If she is unlikely to moult again before he dies, it is best not to bother. You will have years left to mate your chilian female and I am sure you will run accross a few more males in that time-frame.

Cheers,
Dave

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for all the inputs! I value your opinion!
I will probably wait until next summer after she molts again and then actively pursue getting a male. I'm actively working with my Usambara's right now and would like to concentrate on them and see if we can get an eggsac from my big female "Oscar"
I just feel bad seeing the one in the PetShop go to waste. I'm positive they didn't realize what they had and will probably sell him to an unwary customer who will wonder why his pet dies in a few months.
Thanks again!
Ralph

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
How much were they asking for it? Maybe there's someone around here who is close enough to grab it or would want you to ship it to them? Have you informed the pet shop of what they have?

Cheers,
Dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'd take him, but Vayu son and I already have a breeding loan going with my females....
SHD is right...maybe someone else could use him? Hate to see him go to waste, but you certainly don't want to take chances with your girl either...

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He's $19.99 and an excellent looking specimen.
I may call the store and let them know today. I tried while I was in there on Saturday, but was promptly ignored by the sales staff.
Their buyer should be in this afternoon and I have had good luck talking with her.
If someone wants him, please let me know and I'll do my best to get him.
Ralph