Malaysian Dead Leaf Mantis - (Deroplatys lobata)

norcalfourrunner

Arachnopeon
This is a Malaysian Dead Leaf Mantis nymph, Deroplatys lobata.

I stumbled across this species looking for something else and couldn't pass it up at the price. I had intended to buy 6 of these and hope at least one was a female, however the store only had 1 left, so I took it. It is unfortunately a male based on the abdominal segments and thorax. Can't find any more of this species anywhere. Looking to find more nymphs, an ootheca or adults. If anyone knows where to find this species in the USA I would be very grateful!

Thanks.

For housing he is in a small deli cup. Coco for substrate and a fake flower from the dollar store. Diet is 3-5 D. melanogaster per day. Believe he is a 2nd or 3rd instar nymph.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is a Malaysian Dead Leaf Mantis nymph, Deroplatys lobata.

I stumbled across this species looking for something else and couldn't pass it up at the price. I had intended to buy 6 of these and hope at least one was a female, however the store only had 1 left, so I took it. It is unfortunately a male based on the abdominal segments and thorax. Can't find any more of this species anywhere. Looking to find more nymphs, an ootheca or adults. If anyone knows where to find this species in the USA I would be very grateful!

Thanks.

For housing he is in a small deli cup. Coco for substrate and a fake flower from the dollar store. Diet is 3-5 D. melanogaster per day. Believe he is a 2nd or 3rd instar nymph.

A truly stunning species. They might not have the bold and bright colours of some of the other mantids but it matters not. As adults they're magnificent with their shield and wing covers.

Sadly just lost my adult female.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If there are any Reptile Expos/Super Shows in your area, you might try there. I'm in So Cal, and there's a vendor that I see at all the shows down here who sells mantises. I've gotten dead leaf mantis nymphs from him for the past couple of years (and hope to pick up a few more at the Pomona show next Sunday!). I can't recall his name offhand, but if he's there this weekend I'll try to get his contact info for you. There's also a good chance that he may travel up north to do the shows at your end of the state.

norcalfourrunner

Arachnopeon
A truly stunning species. They might not have the bold and bright colours of some of the other mantids but it matters not. As adults they're magnificent with their shield and wing covers.

Sadly just lost my adult female.
Sorry about your lady. It is a very stunning species. I have always loved these but never been lucky enough to find any at the right time or place.

If there are any Reptile Expos/Super Shows in your area, you might try there. I'm in So Cal, and there's a vendor that I see at all the shows down here who sells mantises. I've gotten dead leaf mantis nymphs from him for the past couple of years (and hope to pick up a few more at the Pomona show next Sunday!). I can't recall his name offhand, but if he's there this weekend I'll try to get his contact info for you. There's also a good chance that he may travel up north to do the shows at your end of the state.
That would be awesome, I would appreciate that. Mantids in general seem hit or miss and hard to find what you are actually looking for. I need to hit the Sacramento Reptile Expo, but it appears it isnt until Sept of this year.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry about your lady. It is a very stunning species. I have always loved these but never been lucky enough to find any at the right time or place.

That would be awesome, I would appreciate that. Mantids in general seem hit or miss and hard to find what you are actually looking for. I need to hit the Sacramento Reptile Expo, but it appears it isnt until Sept of this year.
Well, I struck out at the Pomona Expo - I just flew back into town late last night, and when I got to the show this morning, he said he'd sold out of the dead leaf mantises yesterday. He hopes to have some more ready by the next round of shows - the America's Family Pet Expo in April and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles Bug Fair in May. He did say that he also does the Sacramento shows, so you can check for him there in September. Just look for the Cricket Crack guy: https://www.facebook.com/Cricket-Crack-123641010995677/

Good luck!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Ah so pretty!
I'm hoping to get a mantis at some point.
They're one of my favorite things. They're so pretty, even the earthy ones are pretty.

norcalfourrunner

Arachnopeon
Well, I struck out at the Pomona Expo - I just flew back into town late last night, and when I got to the show this morning, he said he'd sold out of the dead leaf mantises yesterday. He hopes to have some more ready by the next round of shows - the America's Family Pet Expo in April and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles Bug Fair in May. He did say that he also does the Sacramento shows, so you can check for him there in September. Just look for the Cricket Crack guy: https://www.facebook.com/Cricket-Crack-123641010995677/

Good luck!
Thanks for that link.

Ah so pretty!
I'm hoping to get a mantis at some point.
They're one of my favorite things. They're so pretty, even the earthy ones are pretty.
They are just a very well put together insect in my opinion. Even the ones people would consider "plain" are truly wonders of evolution and natural selection.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Bugsincyberspace.com offers them occasionally. I bought one from him a couple months ago. They're out of stock right now, but if you email him, he might be able to give you an idea of when he'll have them again.