Making this terrarium usable?

Cazador

Arachnosquire
I want to use this terrarium to house a young p. regius but I think it needs some modifying to make it work. I love using unique enclosures but I won't do it if it isn't good for the invert, so I'd like to get some advice on how to make it safe.

I really like the shape and the side opening, since all of my jumping spiders have preferred making their nest at the top of their enclosure, even with various setups. I'm hoping this will be ideal for avoiding messing up all their hard work.

There are two problems that I need to address:

1. Corrosion. It's a metal frame and it already seems to have some, since I'm sure it's the cheapest metal they could find. I don't want it to get worse from moisture, so I was thinking I could coat the metal on the inside with something, I'm just not sure what would be best to use.

2. Ventilation. There are gaps between the panels of varying width, especially a good one at the top of the door, but I don't know it it would be enough. Also, if I coat the inside metal it would block these. Drilling holes seems like the obvious solution, but I've never drilled glass, it's thin, and I would be paranoid to do it because I won't be able to get another identical terrarium.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

01 - Terrarium.jpg 02 - Ventilation.jpg 03 - Corrosion.jpg

Last edited:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I want to use this terrarium to house a young p. regius but I think it needs some modifying to make it work. I love using unique enclosures but I won't do it if it isn't good for the invert, so I'd like to get some advice on how to make it safe.

I really like the shape and the side opening, since all of my jumping spiders have preferred making their nest at the top of their enclosure, even with various setups. I'm hoping this will be ideal for avoiding messing up all their hard work.

There are two problems that I need to address:

1. Corrosion. It's a metal frame and it already seems to have some, since I'm sure it's the cheapest metal they could find. I was thinking I could coat the metal on the inside with something, I'm just not sure what would be best to use.

2. Ventilation. There are gaps between the panels of varying width, especially a good one at the top of the door, but I don't know it it would be enough. Also, if I coat the inside metal it would block these. Drilling holes seems like the obvious solution, but I've never drilled glass, it's thin, and I would be paranoid to do it because I won't be able to get another identical terrarium.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 240968 View attachment 240969 View attachment 240970
my advice.
1. star off by taking the silicone they use in the corners of aquariums, and run that around all the corners of this to seal it nicely.
give it plenty of time to dry off.

2. replace the glass in the door and the opposite wall with acrylic(if possible) and drill cross ventilation holes in the acrylic. OR if you know how or anybody you know, may know how, to drill holes through the glass itself, do that and give it a little cross ventilation.

3. where the door opens. Measure it and basicly get a piece of acrylic about 2+ inches high to put in the door way on the inside, so you can put in some substrate and it will create a barrier so it does not fall out everytime you open the door. since its small enough, id suggest using the straw method to get a pretty precise measurement across.

so basicly, with the rest of it sealed up, with a barrier in the door way at the bottom to prevent loss of substrate, and some ventilation holes, as long as you can keep it closed securely, this should help you make a good enclosure out of it! i have a similar one at home made of a similar style item i found at hobby lobby and they work pretty well. the biggest concern is just making sure that the T can not get out.

Cazador

Arachnosquire
Thanks, good ideas! The acrylic piece for the substrate should be super easy, and I'll definitely grab some of that aquarium silicone. Do you know if some brands are better than others, or can I just get whichever?

I like the idea of replacing the door. If I break that, at least it wouldn't be impossible to replace. Unfortunately the more I mess with it the more I realize how delicate it is. Just trying to get the door off it's hinge is proving difficult to do without bending the frame too much. Since I would have to break the glass to remove it anyway, I think I'm going to try drilling holes in the glass first. After looking into it a bit, drilling glass doesn't look as iffy as I thought. And if it breaks, I can just put an acrylic piece in.

Quick question about ventilation: Would just having holes in one side be enough, or does it definitely need holes on both ends for sufficient ventilation?

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Thanks, good ideas! The acrylic piece for the substrate should be super easy, and I'll definitely grab some of that aquarium silicone. Do you know if some brands are better than others, or can I just get whichever?

I like the idea of replacing the door. If I break that, at least it wouldn't be impossible to replace. Unfortunately the more I mess with it the more I realize how delicate it is. Just trying to get the door off it's hinge is proving difficult to do without bending the frame too much. Since I would have to break the glass to remove it anyway, I think I'm going to try drilling holes in the glass first. After looking into it a bit, drilling glass doesn't look as iffy as I thought. And if it breaks, I can just put an acrylic piece in.

Quick question about ventilation: Would just having holes in one side be enough, or does it definitely need holes on both ends for sufficient ventilation?

about the ventilation. you don't *need* them on both sides but it will result in very very poor ventilation as air is not going to very easily flow into the enclosure. for the best cross ventilation, had it on either side. even if you can get just 2-3 small holes on the other side it will give it good enough ventilation.

id suggest going down to home depot/lowes/micheals or even any dollar store and buying cheap glass to practice on(and some good cheap gardening/construction/leather gloves as well, as if you mess up and it does crack/shatter, it can leave a very nasty cut)
but use the cheap glass to practice drilling holes in to get the hand of it.
i used to use just cheap old picture frames you can get for a few bucks at micheals.

when it comes to drilling, just remember to be patient, take it nice and slow and depending on the drill your using, try to keep the glass atlas slightly submerged or with water on it. There are some very good guides online and on you tube(even some on here on older posts in the vivarium section) on how to drill glass easily and successfully.
worst case scenario, if you brake the glass on the door? replace it with the much more forgiving acrylic piece. the best part is, even if the acrylic is not 100%, you can fill in any small gaps with silicone very easily.