Major stirmi hairing yesterday

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
So I had a huuuuuuge mishap with Doomsday after work yesterday. I have her in a Rubbermaid tub that sits a little above belly button level from the floor. I popped the top and was misting and getting ready to feed her when she ran to the corner and climbed out. I grabbed her with my bare hands as she was about to jump off the side and quickly put her on the ground. She hissed and ran behind my t tanks. Two minutes of panic pulling all my crap away from the shelves and getting her int o a critter keeper. Got her in after lots of hissing and hair throwing. Felt like I worked in insulation for about four hours after. Got my neck and bare arms since I had a t shirt on. She's still shoveling crickets down, so she's not traumatized lol. I'll never open the tub off the ground again. At least I know the hairing isn't super bad on my skin. Thank God I don't know what her bite feels like.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
FYI it's fairly common for the reaction to urticating bristles to grow worse each time you're exposed to them. Glad to hear the little hellion wasn't injured!

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah I was kinda panicked for a few hours after wondering if I would break out in a rash or something. I won't be holding her ever again lol. I honestly can't imagine getting haired worse than I did though.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Sorry you experienced that, but I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson! Also, major props to you for doing what you had to to keep her safe, regardless of your own comfort. Thanks for putting the animal first!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad it all turned out okay.

I never used to have a reaction to the urticating hairs. Now I break out in hives with the itching and wonderful burn.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I never used to have a reaction to the urticating hairs. Now I break out in hives with the itching and wonderful burn.
I will second that. I used to think that long time members were insane for how much they complained about the setae. Now not only do I have a bad reaction, but my hands pretty much constantly itch these days. I've grown accustomed to it and I'm largely able to ignore it, so long as I haven't fed or maintained in a few days. However, my hands never don't itch anymore. And yes, I know, gloves. It's a hassle and I hate them. I'd rather put up with the itching, personally.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will second that. I used to think that long time members were insane for how much they complained about the setae. Now not only do I have a bad reaction, but my hands pretty much constantly itch these days. I've grown accustomed to it and I'm largely able to ignore it, so long as I haven't fed or maintained in a few days. However, my hands never don't itch anymore. And yes, I know, gloves. It's a hassle and I hate them. I'd rather put up with the itching, personally.

I figured after a long break from the hobby , I would be alright. I was wrong. I am soon going to be rehoming my LP because I don't want the itch. It's a pain. The sole reason I prefer the OWs to the NWs.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Misting is only going the stress the spider out and send hairs flying all over the place. It's better to pour water in. Misting doesn't even hold humidity for that long anyway.

Glad to hear it all turned out okay.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Only got it good once. (Gramma or Brachy. cant remember which one.) Worries me when they say it just gets worse cause its never fun to begin with!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Try getting haired in the nose, my face ached for several days and I had snot every where, all from a little LP. I had to get rid of all members of the genus cause they just kept kicking like crazy and I've developed a dull ache in my fingers whenever I deal with nw cages.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
+1what Thistles said!
Also, I can attest to reaction from the hairs getting worse. When starting 2,5 years ago, it wasn't an issue. Now, I have to be very careful while doing maintenance, and back away quickly when a T kicks. The hairs of my B.smithi are the worst, I guess because she kicks a lot at the same time. Strangely, I don't react as strongly to my L.parahybana. Avic hairs are also irritating, so it is a good thing they don't kick and I don't handle. But I learned to hold my breath when feeding them :D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Beyond the itch, is it obvious when the T does this? And by that, what I mean is do you see a visual of it flying through the air? I guess I am too new to have experienced a bad episode yet.

I make sure I time my events for my B. Smithi so that it has a cricket when I swap the water dish. Unfortunately, I usually forget the gloves when I do this. This T seems to stay calm and not panic so far. I don't know if that is partially because it was living in a nightmare at Petco previously. Otherwise, my largest spider is an Avic Vers. and she seems to be calm and just stays put when I open the container. But I have a lot of NW slings on the way so I guess I need to develop better habits.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
It was obvious when I was chasing her back and forth. She was shaking and hissing. I knew I was getting haired, but I didn't have any options. I've never had even a tickle from my rosie s and pink toes. Even my big girls housing hasn't been an issue. I put my hands in the check the moisture and even mixed a little dry in when I went overboard with the watering. She was scared though, so I doubt she does it that bad again.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, c'mon. T's hairs never killed anyone. Are we mans or what? Think about those old good veterans turned full psychos in dat jungle after a dose of Mr. Ho 'Nam river rats cuddles :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I actually enjoy the feeling on my fingers and hand "full itchy & red" when I perform maintenance on my M.robustum enclosure. When I was in the army only Christ knows what was inside those "needles" they put on my chest :-s

Too bad that those hairs itchy effect last like water in an African Sahel village :-/

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Beyond the itch, is it obvious when the T does this? And by that, what I mean is do you see a visual of it flying through the air? I guess I am too new to have experienced a bad episode yet.

I make sure I time my events for my B. Smithi so that it has a cricket when I swap the water dish. Unfortunately, I usually forget the gloves when I do this. This T seems to stay calm and not panic so far. I don't know if that is partially because it was living in a nightmare at Petco previously. Otherwise, my largest spider is an Avic Vers. and she seems to be calm and just stays put when I open the container. But I have a lot of NW slings on the way so I guess I need to develop better habits.
yes, you can see it coming, since how they do it is not their usual behaviour. The hairs themselves are not always visible. if you want an example of kicking behaviour, search on YouTube. Avicularia don't kick, they press them into the skin, so if you're not handling, you won't see that. They do however line their silk with urticating hairs, so be careful not to blow or mist them.