Major bummer

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey y'all, I recently had a terrible stroke of misfortune a few days ago when my thermostat failed and allowed the t room to heat up too much. It would have been bad but not as quite as bad if I hadn't lost 4 (this also the total loss) of my favorites- mf A geniculata, mf B boehmei, L klugi, and P. ornata #2. I'd raised all of them from tiny slings except L klugi which was around 3" when I got it. The crazy thing is that others did just fine at higher levels in the room than 3 of the 4 that died. The only common denominator I can figure is those that died had eaten most recently. I'm contemplating giving up and getting out completely after this but maybe not. :(

Again, the worst part is that that these were favorites. I like them all but damn!!! :?

Oh well. :rolleyes:

Terry

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Hang on there terry... Im sorry :( for the misfortune but i hope you will overcome it. :)

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, damn man, that sucks. How hot did it get in their room???

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry to hear this Terry. Was that a p. ornata you got from me? :( I'd also like to know how hot it got in the T room.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm sorry to hear that!:eek: Don't give up. It's a setback, sure but the the joys of keeping outweigh the inevitable loss of some of these fragile creatures, yes?

Just keep enjoying those you have now and maybe you will come across some others you'll enjoy just as much as the ones you lost.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks y'all. Yeah, this is a bad deal! It got to 105. Lower cages were right around 100. It's been that hot before back when my first 6 t's were little slings and didn't seem to bother them then- but was for a shorter period of time. That time it was actually my fault in a way. It was the first long-lasting cold spell in Jan of 2010 and I raised the temp a bit too much before leaving for the day. Everything was still a bit of a test run at that time. This time it was the cheap heater. No more cheapies! :(

Jason, Yeah, it was p.o. #4 which I erroneously posted in a rush as #2 earlier. I still have #3 (the last of that batch) which I'm thinking is a female. Strangely, this is the one that hasn't done the best in terms of health out of the 3 initial survivors over the past few months. It is also the runt. The male I got from Tommy seems to be doing okay, so is the P rufilata, L parahybana and my other t's. :)

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Kori, Btw, I just posted a pic of the female boehmei in the other "boehmei premolt thread". She is certainly missed! Interestingly/sadly, she and my A geniculata are the two that I'd gotten the best pics of. :)