M. Robustum = Pet hole?

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My M. robustum sling is a pet hole. She hides in the hole as soon as i touch the deli cup. i can't even see her anymore. I thought they are terrestrial? :?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
remember, terrestrial and burrowing are two different things. M. robustum is a burrower.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My M. robustum sling is a pet hole. She hides in the hole as soon as i touch the deli cup. i can't even see her anymore. I thought they are terrestrial? :?
Nope, definately burrowers! I have seen people have them setup as terrestrials with a good hide. You can do that, but the T would love it better with a bunch of dirt. :eek:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
m. robustum are burrowers and it stresses them out no end if they haven't got enough substrate to dig.

sorry to say it, but this is a species you will see very seldom if you keep it properly.

i got rid of mine because of that - gorgeous t, but the friend i gave it to only sees it maybe once in 2 or 3 months, and only at night. it will run and hide in the burrow at the slightest disturbance. i think most individuals of this species are like that, even the adults.

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah. each time i see it out of its enclosure at time, the slightest disturbance will make it run back to its hole..

But its just so beautiful...

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are out more when they are bigger--3-4 inches maybe. Also, try viewing it after dark--try to wake up in the middle of the night. I see mine because I'm a night owl (dumb expression.) During the day they will hide. They are quite a beautiful sight, worth it for the fleeting glimpses.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are out more when they are bigger--3-4 inches maybe. Also, try viewing it after dark--try to wake up in the middle of the night. I see mine because I'm a night owl (dumb expression.) During the day they will hide. They are quite a beautiful sight, worth it for the fleeting glimpses.
Yeah, where did that "night owl" deal come from anyway, lol, HOOOOOO invented it? lol lol. Try to encourage M. robustum to burrow near the glass. After several attemps to achieve this, mine finally did, to my delight! Then after they do, lean a black piece of cardboard against the glass to cover the burrow when you're not viewing. Mine burrowed on the back side of her tank, so it worked out great, I just lay the cardboard down, and view her with a mini mag converted to LED, she doesn't seem to mind being lQQked at too much.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, where did that "night owl" deal come from anyway, lol, HOOOOOO invented it? lol lol. Try to encourage M. robustum to burrow near the glass. After several attemps to achieve this, mine finally did, to my delight! Then after they do, lean a black piece of cardboard against the glass to cover the burrow when you're not viewing. Mine burrowed on the back side of her tank, so it worked out great, I just lay the cardboard down, and view her with a mini mag converted to LED, she doesn't seem to mind being lQQked at too much.
Hey I do the cardboard thing to. It works well "if" you can get them to burrow against the glass or into a corner where you might get to see them when you remove the cardboard. I have one now that almost did that, but then she made an abrupt left hand turn and completed the burrow somewhere in the middle of the tank.......:8o
Dident the "night owl" saying come because most owls are out only at night?

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno, Ive seen owls hunt during the day as well as night here in Oklahoma, but they do seem more active at night.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If they are hiding then you are doing something right. Mine are out at night when I cant see them LOL

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mines in her burrow all the time, and she has this really nicely decorated tank. People see the tank, and say, "Whats in there?, we don't see anything living". I reply, "Pure Evil" LOL