M. martensii

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just got a pair of M. martensii. i maybe dumb buying scorps with just a slight knowledge of it. just need some help, what is the proper set up for its enclosure? are they tropical? dessert type? please help...thanks!!!! :? :? :?

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i personally keep mine slightly moister than my desert species, some people claim that they are very susceptible to mycosis. Personally, i haven't seen this, but something to keep in mind.
basically, i would say keep them on a sand/soil blend with very occasional misting, letting the substrate dry out between mistings... perhaps a small water dish might be provided once in a while. 80*F / 27*C is optimal i think.

maybe walton can comment, he knows more about them i think! ;)

cheers! :D
- munis

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well my advice then, would be not to try feeding any of your pets right now... you'll lose many crickets/roaches and regret it later no matter how much fun it seems at the moment! {D

cheers! :D
- munis
I'm high right now It's fun yay! pencil

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They do better in a drier set up but dont keep as dry as you would Androctonus or Leiururus

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my communal setup with 6 sub adult/adult specimens on a 50/50 substrate with one half being sand with stones and dried wood pieces on the surface while the other half is sand mixed with slightly dampened cocofibre. I've also got a small plant (Spathiphyllum wallisii) planted in this end which gets a small phile of water once a week.
Their terrarium is placed in a shaded location and i mostly find they are out on display all the time, usually sitting on a piece of wood that straddles both the dry and slightly damp areas.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the nice thing about this species is that it is very diverse in the habitats it inhabits. Throughout its range it is found in dry arid spaces, temperate and semitropical forests, and is even found in the tidal zone congregating under rocks in the spray zone and debris line during low tide. I'm not quite sure what habitat most of the CB strains came from, but they do seem to do best in a semi-arid to arid setup, similar to the way some people are keeping their H. hottentottas right now. I know that when i got my first pair a long time ago, i was told to keep them tropical. This didnt work out too well for me, and so i began experimenting with several different methods.
in regards to the mycosis, i experienced that in aces with my pair, although i am fairly certain they had a great deal of it unbeknownst to me, when i purchsed them. these were probably one of my favorite species to date. good luck with them.

John

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ayt!

thanks guys!!! i'll try posting pics later...

@myrea
i tried to checked that one out & there's a certain link that brings me to pics of set up but it doesn't show the pictures anymore, just Xs...

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are the pictures:
The first & last one are in their 1st enclosure when i bought them & substrate is kind of loose sand & soil. The second one is the new set up with gravel as a substrate. I hope that's ok.