M.balfouri substrate question..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is my first time keeping a balfouri this small so at one inch is it ok to give it dry sub? Seems like it would still be a little fragile at this size for such dry conditions..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Um... what size?

I've yet to come across any sling that thrives on bone dry substrate. So, there's that.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Um... what size?

I've yet to come across any sling that thrives on bone dry substrate. So, there's that.
Umm...Its up there one inch Lol... I was going to keep it barely moist but wanted to ask first..

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't have one yet but I know they come from a pretty arid environment. I would probably keep an M. balfouri sling like I do my H. pulchripes youngster. Mostly dry, with a water dish, and then occasionally dampen a small portion of the sub in the deli cup. Actually, I usually just put some sphagnum moss in there and dampen that occasionally because lots of the arid species, even as slings, don't seem to enjoy standing on wet sub but, being slings, still need more humidity than juvies or adults. IIRC balfouri are burrowers, especially as slings so I'd give it a couple inches of sub.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Always kept mine on bone dry substrate, ever since it was maybe less than an inch. Its alive and kicking.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I deffinately get nervous putting such small slings into a dry enclosure.. I was finally able to take a pinch of the soil from its old enclosure and its just moist.. So thats how I'll house it untill it puts on close to another inch.. I'll start drying it out slowly over a month or two after that..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Always kept mine on bone dry substrate, ever since it was maybe less than an inch. Its alive and kicking.
Interesting but I'm too scared to try that.Lol who knows maybe the way you house yours is best.. If I had more than one I would try both ways honestly...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I rarely keep anything on bone dry substrate. I keep my two communal on lightly moist substrate and everything I keep gets a water dish. They burrow fine (including the 1/4 inch sling I have) and have molted regularly. I have them in two communal setups and a 4oz deli (for the little one). They range in size from the 1/4 inch to 2.5 inches with a range in between. They have never avoided the substrate or acted in a manor that would lead me to believe it bothers them. They were tunneling with in hours of me getting them.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I rarely keep anything on bone dry substrate. I keep my two communal on lightly moist substrate and everything I keep gets a water dish. They burrow fine (including the 1/4 inch sling I have) and have molted regularly. I have them in two communal setups and a 4oz deli (for the little one). They range in size from the 1/4 inch to 2.5 inches with a range in between. They have never avoided the substrate or acted in a manor that would lead me to believe it bothers them. They were tunneling with in hours of me getting them.
Mm.. Good point.. One main reason I considered it is because about 2yrs ago I had a tiny 1/4 in P.scrofa that I housed on moist sub like all slings and it acted arboreal..

I was looking at it one day and was like.. Hmm it's acting like a Grammy on wet sub.. I switched it out to dry long fiber coconut coir and it started acting normal.. I figured it would dry out being so small but it did fine on bone dry sub and a small water cap..

If the balfouri seems to dislike the moist sub I'll switch it out..

Smileyboy

Arachnopeon
i've been keeping m balfouri's for about 10 months now, i keep them on bone dry eco earth. rarely do i refill the water dish or mist the enclosure (communal setup). they seem to like it dry as they web up alot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is my first time keeping a balfouri this small so at one inch is it ok to give it dry sub? Seems like it would still be a little fragile at this size for such dry conditions..
I've actually kept both of mine dry, w/water bowl of course. No issues. Socotra Island is a pretty arid climate. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as dry as GBB's climate.

They are mediium/slow growers. They don't pack on the weight in the abdomen like other baboons either. In the beginning it was difficult to determine if they were eating as mine are never out to eat. Over time I grew used to what is skinny vs what is fat for these 2. Still learning w/them mind you.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I've actually kept both of mine dry, w/water bowl of course. No issues.
Thanks viper I already set it up on barely moist sub but once it drys out I'm leaving it dry..It will probably take two days at the very most.. The guy I bought him from said he raised it on dry sub so I dont see the point in risking it..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks viper I already set it up on barely moist sub but once it drys out I'm leaving it dry..It will probably take two days at the very most.. The guy I bought him from said he raised it on dry sub so I dont see the point in risking it..
No problem man!