Lyrognathus robustus

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lyrognathus robustus(The Hunt!)

Hi Again,

Hoping anyone out there has a care sheet or info on this particular species.

Its found on Fraziers Hill, a couple of states away from me, and im planning a trip up there soon. Might be interested in trying to get a specimen.

Have not found much information on this particular species except that it resides in Frasiers Hill.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ppl.
- Jobe

heres a pic

Source:http://home.t-online.de/home/0220380296/cor_sp.jpg

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jobe,
I found it on Rick Wests site. Image # 0127. But its from Malaysia Dude.

Cool looking T. though.

Ernie

My bad, Your in Malaysia :? . I guess I thought you were from Mississippi or something.

Good Hunting, I hope you catch one. Let us know.

Last edited:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its not my place to say, but its always a concern of mine. I always hate to hear of Ts being wild caught. I just don't agree with taking something away from its environment. Capture, breeding, and releasing seems fine, as long as the slings are raised captive, but I am always concerned about the species being preserved in the wild. I would be sure of the consistency of the species in the wild there and make sure they are well in population. Just my 2 cents. Other than that...good luck and good hunt! :cool:

Marcus

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, point well taken.

Was just thinking of trying to collect different asian species...
Wouldnt mind buying, unfortunately, this species is not really for sale anywhere(maybe hard to get)

I agree to the breeding. Will try to get a pair of specimens for breeding. At least then would have some circling around the market.

I think another name for this specie is Coremiocnemis valida. Maybe i might get a caresheet there. if anyone knows of it.

Thanx for the punctuation mark Ephesians, in my haste and sudden interest, did not have the spiders well being in the foremost of my mind. Will prolly still plan the hunt, but at least ive got my priorities straight.

-cheers

P/s : I will definitely call off the hunt if the specie is endangered.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Jobe said:
Have not found much information on this particular species except that it resides in Frasiers Hill.

heres a pic

Source:http://home.t-online.de/home/0220380296/cor_sp.jpg
just for the record: The species in the photo above is NOT Lyrognathus robustus but a Coremiocnemis spec. which has been sold in the pet trade in the beginning labelled as Lyrognathus robustus. It has bin collected at the Frazer Hills (Bukit Frazier) in Malaysia.
Lyrognathus robustus has thickened hind legs while the species on the photo above just has very hairy hind legs which let them look thicker.
See also these articles:
  • VON WIRTH, V. (2000): Über die tatsächliche Identität der im Vorartikel als Lyrognathus robustus SMITH, 1988 bezeichneten Vogelspinnenart
    (Araneae,Theraphosidae, Selenocomiinae). Arthropoda 8(3): 17-19.
  • VON WIRTH, V. (2002): Skutecná identita druhu Lyrognathus robustus Smith, 1988. Sklípkan 7(1): 4-5.

another female of this Coremiocnemis species:

all the best,
Martin

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Coremiocnemis used to be very common over here as W/C at one time iv only seen a REAL Lyrognathus.sp once in think 91 very old and very sad looking i shelled out £15 for her anyway :( she lasted around 5-6 months she was very badly rubbed but could have still been useful sadly like a fool i dried her instead of spirit or freezing and she got broke up and thrown out :eek: i checked against Lyrognathus.sp in Smith’s old book at the time of her death and she did not match, her ceph and sternum were much longer then them the sternum was also a different in shape too.

Had to edit it was L.saltator/pugnax that it did not match not L.robustus(L.robustus was NOT listed in my copy of ttcaig) i was told it was L.robustus by the seller.

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Martin mine had shorter hair but the same colour but like i say she was very badly rubbed it was sold to me as L.robustus but many dealers are even worse then even me at id :rolleyes:

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, lotsa info brought into this old thread :)

Thanks guys.

I was at frazers hill a few months back, but not specifically to hunt the L. robustus...was more of an R&R trip. I did make an evening trek in the jungle but didnt wander far...needless to say i didnt find the T.

Regards
-e-

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Martin H. do U have photo of young lyro ?? do they posess those thick legs as juvenals or mayby only as adoultus ??