LPS find. Need opinions

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was checking out one of my LPS's to day and noticed they had a 3"+ C. facsiatum at $50.00 and a 6+ Theraphosa sp at $130.00.
I am not very familiar with these species and was wondering if those are decent prices. I am also curious to where pet stores get their inverts. I have had bad luck with pet store finds in the past and I am wondering if this could be due to them being WC or from bad dealers.
All answers are welcome.
Thanks,
Billy

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If the C.fasciatum is a guaranteed sexed female thats about the ball park. And it really depends of what species of Theraphosa. I seen some Theraphosa posting 6"+ for around $90-150 on the boards here.

Also it really depends on the LPS on where they get their specimens. Small local shops generally deal with local vendors, where as larger chain pet stores (Petco,Pet Supply Plus, etc) get their specimens from large reptile/tarantula farms, and generally have more WC species, and you usually end up with more males from the chain stores. At least thats what I have read in this forum as well as on the internet.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the C.fasciatum is a guaranteed sexed female thats about the ball park. And it really depends of what species of Theraphosa. I seen some Theraphosa posting 6"+ for around $90-150 on the boards here.

Also it really depends on the LPS on where they get their specimens. Small local shops generally deal with local vendors, where as larger chain pet stores (Petco,Pet Supply Plus, etc) get their specimens from large reptile/tarantula farms, and generally have more WC species, and you usually end up with more males from the chain stores. At least thats what I have read in this forum as well as on the internet.
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I can probably talk them down to $40 on the fasciatum. I'm not interested in paying for the Theraphosa.
The fasciatum is a bit leggy, but not a MM. Could it mature into a male at that size?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I can probably talk them down to $40 on the fasciatum. I'm not interested in paying for the Theraphosa.
The fasciatum is a bit leggy, but not a MM. Could it mature into a male at that size?
Yup. A friend once bought me a C. fasciatum from an LPS. It was barely 3", but was already a MM.