LP sling pulling its own legs off?

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that if a T has an injured leg they will sometimes "eat it" or pull it off of their bodies but Im concerned that my new 1/4 inch LP has removed two of its own legs in the last few hours. It doesnt appear to be injured. Ive got it in a tiny deli cup with about an inch of soil and a premade burrow but it prefers to stay in the open. Is there anything that I need to do to keep it from leaking fluids? Ive never had this happen to a T before especially one so small

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow that is strange.
Is the substrate moist?
I read in one of the forums that one tarantula dropped one of her legs because she didn't have enough moisture, so she ate her own leg.
I don't know if that was true, but that's what the T keeper thought had happened.

If they drop their own legs they know how to do it and they won't leak fluid to cause them death. Maybe the legs were deformed, or not working so the sling wanted to get rid of them?

Only speculations, but keep an eye on him, make sure the substrate is moist, at least on one half of it, and keep us posted.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I don't think theres much you can do at this point besides keep it moist in there. Especially since you're tarantula is sooo small! Hopefully everything works out for the best.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im keeping the soil on the drier side but what I do is place a tiny dish of water in the deli cup and add droplets to the side of the cup so that its kind of misty. It hasn't pulled off any more legs and it seems to be ok now. It's not interesting in eating but I noticed that my other slings are starting to get dark so it might be close to molting. Keep your fingers crossed for me please :)