LP concerns

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got this .25" L. parahybana this week, and the little guy isn't eating yet. I was wondering what tricks others have for finicky slings. I am aware that it could simply be in premolt, but I figure it's best to try to feed it every few days in case it isn't in premolt.

I've tried really small crickets with the hind legs pulled off partially or fully. Today I put in a gnat and moved the vile to the garage because I keep my room a comfy 70 degrees or below and thought that might be part of the possible problem.

I currently have it set up in a vile with a moist paper towel for substrate, as I'm almost positive that this is an acceptable way to house them. However I'm considering switching to something it would be able to burrow into. Any feedback would be appreciated.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you have to keep changing PT if you use that as sub. i only use it in temporary type situations

you can try giving in prekilled

also, as logn as the butt is big you don't need to be worried about it not eating. it would definitely burrow if you gave it burrowable substrate

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree with Caco - give it something to burrow into. I usually put a bit of peat moss / coco fiber / whatever in the bottom of a vial (about halfway, depending on species, etc.) and let it do its thing.

I've found this species to be a bit finicky at small sizes and pre-killed was usually my best option.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would say paper towel is a *bad* idea--this species in particular burrows like mad when they're tiny, and it may be stressed from the lack of a hidey-hole. Give it something to burrow in, and you can just leave pre-killed prey near said burrow. That's what I did with mine.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I switched up the substrate to coconut fiber several days ago with some success. It made a tiny beetle disappear but hasn't really begun and serious burrow work.