lots of awesome tarantulas

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by motorteipidpa
after scrolling through all the pics at rick wests website i noticed a lot of awesome and colorful tarantula species that arent in th pet trade(hopefully not yet!).look at this awesome undescribed avicularia species!
http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/3/2001.htm

Tom
Yes, those pictures are hopefully a testament of what is to come in the hobby. Take a look at P. Metallica on that page and knock youself out ;)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's nice, but it's not so different than an A. minatrix. That C. pentaloris is like nothing I've ever seen. It's got a patterned carapace that makes Pamphos wet their pants. A metallic golden and black coloration that is unlike anything out there, and on top of that, the ass of a tigerrump. I want one dammit! :D

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I see beauties like that it always makes me wonder how many beautiful species there are out there that are yet undiscovered.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep and the chainsaws going *BRR... ok ok ok nevermind :)

There certainly are some nice looking spids there

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
That's nice, but it's not so different than an A. minatrix. That C. pentaloris is like nothing I've ever seen. It's got a patterned carapace that makes Pamphos wet their pants. A metallic golden and black coloration that is unlike anything out there, and on top of that, the ass of a tigerrump. I want one dammit! :D
Oh, I think that the unidentified Avic. is WAY cooler that the A. minatrix! I want one dangit! I can't wait. That is definately the coolest Avic. I have seen!!!! Geez, this is about to be a very bold statement, but I might just have to put it on top of my favorite T. list. Let me think about it though before anone holds me to it.

Oh yeah, C. pentaloris is definately up there too!

And which Pamphos are you talking about?

:D
Big Dragonfly
:D

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice spider, Captive breeding will save all animals in fear of losing their habitat to the chainsaw

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
And which Pamphos are you talking about?
How about any of them? I appreciate simplicity and symmetry over the "funky starburst" patterns on Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis for carapace patterns. That's one of the reasons I think B. emilia is such a beautiful spider, just that simple black and rust triangle pattern does it for me far more than the "gaudy" patterns on some of the more recent market faves.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alonso99
Nice spider, Captive breeding will save all animals in fear of losing their habitat to the chainsaw
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Captive breeding will save those species we think are cool enough to save. I'm not going to be doing any captive breeding of a whole lot of tarantulas no matter how endangered they may or may not be.

If we "save" a species whose habitat is being decimated, that species will never be wild again. It is extremely unlikely that any captive bred tarantulas will ever be reintroduced to their natural environment ever. We are only saving them for ourselves and for our enjoyment. What will keep a species alive is not the altruistic and noble aspirations of people, but market forces. I mean, there are only so many brown tarantulas people need to make their collections complete, and many tarantulas that have thriving captive breeding programs today may be allowed to dwindle away in favor of more spectacular species that are introduced in the coming years.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are right in that sense. I mean captive breeding some pokies does not change the fact their natural environment in India or Sri lanka would not exist after all the deforestation

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
WOW~~!!

i cant wait untill they are in the pet trade!! awsome spiders!!!! did rick west catch any, or does he just take pics?

James

P.S- i am so jealous!!!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"My whole existence is for your amusement and thaaaat's whyyyy I'm heeeereee for youuuuuuu..." Paper Cuts, Nirvana.

Anyway, I agree that there is only so much that would likely get 'saved' by us when we destroy their habitats. Perhaps every zillionth species or something like that ? :)