Lost versicolor!

pd1072

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I have had a a. versicolor spiderling for two weeks now and when I woke up this morning the little guy was gone! I highly doubt I will find him, but I was curious the odds of people recovering their "runaway" spiders. Any one ever had one run out only to find it a few days later? Any spots these little guys are known to run off to? I really can't imagine how he managed to get out....:( Hope I find him soon, if not I will be buying another!

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It happens to a lot of us and I do know some that have been recovered so don't give up hope. I would start looking up as close to where the container was when you discovered her missing. Under or behind anything above would be my starting point. Good luck.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the odds are against you, but i lost a tiny avic sling and after a few days it was found. chances are it is very close to it's enclosure. mine got loose because i had the holes in the enclosure too big and that little bugger got out. be careful where you step and good luck.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Take apart the enclosure and check it very well. Even check the substrate because if they get hot they burrow. Pull apart her webbing and everything. If you still dont find her, look up. What kind of enclosure did you have her in? How big were the air holes?

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've only ever lost two t's, and they were both arboreal (a mature male H. mac and a 2" T. gigas female) and I found both hiding in the curtains. One was lost for 2 hours and one was lost for 2 weeks. :eek:

So based on that, I'd check any curtains, hanging section of bedspread or similar areas really closely. Arboreal spiders on the loose will tend to go upward.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last year about this time I had a bunch of baby Holothele hatch out - I didn't even know there was a sac until we found babies walking down the hallway walls. We caught around 40 or so that night, and others kept appearing for a few more days. Trick was to turn off all the lights for a while, then turn them on and quickly examine the walls. Lights went on and off a bunch of times that first night. But we think we got almost all of the babies. (Not quite all - the remains of one was found in a Pholcid spider web, and another dead one turned up weeks later.)