Los Angeles Natural History Museum: Bugfair 2007

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Los Angeles Natural History Museum: Bugfair 2007

This was a very fun place to visit. There was perhaps not as many livestock sellers as one might wish... but overall i had a blast!

It was mentioned that their might be a long line.... there was, off and on through out the day. when i got to the museum (~9:45am) there was something like 75 ppl in line

Now, i am a total idiot and forgot to get the names of many of the awesome vendors and other organizations that were manning booths. *sigh* i will try to figure out or piece together the likely options of all the booths i show pics/vids from

anyhow, one of the first things i saw was a nice man with some nice leeches

zoom

so, of course i had to hold one :D

(that really is a leech. caco's honor)

I wandered around some and looked at a lot of the deadstock exhibits. neat, but not really my thing. butterflies *are* pretty, though

one deadstock exhibit that i found very interesting, in light of semi-recent discussions on the boards was this isopod exhibit by (I THINK!) " Natural History Museum of LA County Crustacea"

zoom
(these were something like 18-22"/46-56cm long)

another deadstock exhibit/vendor had what were labled as Pandinus dictator. They were some big ass scorps... 7"+/18cm+

zoom

zoom
no idea what they really are though

then i ran into the Krazy8's table and Neshan and his cousin Earl and met their friend Drew. the new guy was nice.

Neshan (Nbond) and Jeanne (i don't know how to spell her name, i'm sorry. it rhymes with "genie". heh, she's the spider genie.)

and the K8 spread (well, about 2/3 of it. i couldn't get a good shot of all of it)

I have some more pictures and vids that i have to upload and/or cook. stay tuned :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scolopendra gigantea!

ftorres (francisco) had said earlier that he might let me play with his S. gigantea (sold as S. robusta) if i stopped by the Insect Adventures booth

not only did i get to play with his Peruvian giant centipede (AWESOME!!!!) but i bought some very cool new invert pets :)

zoom

zoom

zoom

zoom

zoom

zoom

zoom

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scolopendra heros

Francisco also let me play with his huge Scolopendra heros cf arizonensis. this thing is a monster... even longer than the gigantea i think! it was like 10+"/25cm+!!

zoom

zoom

zoom

zoom

the heros was acting considerably more nervous than the gigantea. i even said i was going to put it down pretty soon cuz i thought it might bite me. then it did =P

I am making vids of handling both... but i'm not sure when i will be able to post them. soon though :)

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, the pics came out great!!!

The funnest part about yesterday was going home and rehousing the inverts!

All of my new ones ate last night! They were hungry.....remember how small the abdomen on the baboon was?

Anyway, the baboon ate like 2 or 3 crickets at once. its always fun to see that many crickets flailing their legs in the fangs of one spider. AWESOME.

Anyway. I had a great time. Earl had an AWESOME time, and is very happy with his new Pampho. fortis

I'm actually about to leave the house to go hang out with Drew at the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Competition.

Hehehehe......

great pics though, man!

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pics Andrew!!! You and Neshan are so lucky to have such great events in your area..I think I might make it down your way this summer to hang out with you, Neshan and everyone else on one of your bug hunts..

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just back from the Bug Show today. Picked up a couple millis for my daughter from Krazy 8s. And some miscellaneous from a couple other dealers.

I also saw the leeches. They are Hirudo medicinalis that belonged to the museum and would not sell any. I've been trying to aquire some of these but are only sold to schools or medical institutions. I've tried Carolina Biological, but they would not sell me any. Doesn't make alot of sense that I can buy a Deathstalker over the counter, but not a leech. Anyone that has any ideas how I can get hold of a few, let me know.

PS, Anyone that handled Francisco's (Ftorres) S. gigantea has a couple of very large coconuts in their pants;P

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
PS, Anyone that handled Francisco's (Ftorres) S. gigantea has a couple of very large coconuts in their pants;P
WOOHOO!!!!! {D

Andrew, it seems you and I both have huge coconuts in our pants! LOL

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Had a great time hanging with you guys. There was plenty to see...though I too would have liked to have seen more live stuff. ;)

Ok...I finally have a T I want! Those rear-horned baboons are amazing! Couldnt believe I was handling a baboon!! And it was so docile AND agile. I want one now. ;)
Ftorres' S.gigantea was awesome! It only crawled halfway onto my hand, but I was happy at that ...the thing REALLY had girth and weight to it...an amazing creature! Never thought I EVER would be able to "play" with one like that. Truly wish it was mine! :eek:

Anyway... I rehoused my purchases today... a jar of honey and a pair of tweezers. :D I was tempted to get some inverts, but I promised myself that I wouldn't. ;)

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Had a great time hanging with you guys. There was plenty to see...though I too would have liked to have seen more live stuff. ;)

Ok...I finally have a T I want! Those rear-horned baboons are amazing! Couldnt believe I was handling a baboon!! And it was so docile AND agile. I want one now. ;)
Ftorres' S.gigantea was awesome! It only crawled halfway onto my hand, but I was happy at that ...the thing REALLY had girth and weight to it...an amazing creature! Never thought I EVER would be able to "play" with one like that. Truly wish it was mine! :eek:

Anyway... I rehoused my purchases today... a jar of honey and a pair of tweezers. :D I was tempted to get some inverts, but I promised myself that I wouldn't. ;)
hey Steve!
My rear-horned turned out to have more of an attitude once we got it away from the museum!!! At your house, it attacked Andrews camera bag (while you were in the house getting cokes)......and just last night, it attacked my tongs and hissed! Wow, what a BEAUTIFUL display!!! It was awesome!

MAAAAYBEE I'll try handling her again some other time. But for now, she's earned my temporary respect. LOL

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now wasnt that fun, I do agree that there could have been more live creatures for sale but hey? i came home w/ 2 T.Gigas and 1 H.Gigas and the kids came home w/ an assortment of butterflys and beetles for display, and who couldnt resist a couple jars of that honey...
I got to meet Ronin aka Paul and Frank. hope to see you guys on the next hike...
Warren

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great to finally meet you Warren and a couple of your kids. My family had a blast as well. Came home with a couple of goodies but I should have picked up a rear-horned as well (couldn't make up my mind b/w that and a curved-horned). I think I'll be calling Chris from Krazy8s now. :)

Looking forward to meeting the rest of you, hopefully, at the next hike.

Paul

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
speaking of the next hike... er, the one after it, rather...

June 9 (sat) and June 24 (sun) who is up for them?

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i also went to the show and got a new pede from crazy 8's its a S. polymorpha and im way exited about it.. i recently started likeing centipedes and i plan on getting quite a few more in the future. I will be sure and get some time off work and i will for sure be makeing it to one of the next two hikes.. let me know if they are for sure going on and i will be there.

here is my S. polymorpha that i got.. im still a bit more nervis about them than i am the T's but im getting use to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJwn-HPLO5Q

i so thought i was going to be tagged twords the end there..