Lophocampa caryae?

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Here is the caterpillar in question along with a pic of the Zelus luridus nymph. The nymph is fast! And I freaked out when it fell off the leaf onto my hand.

Attachments

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
If I were you, I'd move that cocoon into a more open area. Otherwise, nice caterpillar you got there! Did you find it or get it from someone else?

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
My 3 year old son found the caterpillar and asked if we could keep it.

What do you suggest we should put it in? At the moment it is in a pickle jar. We housed the caterpillar in it with it's food, came home today from a weekend away to the cocoon. We would love for it to pupate and see the moth.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I'm no expert, but you should make sure it has a few things that are easily climbable that are spaced out so they do not closely overlap each other. The pickle jar should be fine, just make sure the structures inside give enough space for the moth, and if anything you can try putting some mesh at the top of the container while putting some sticks (~3). Make sure you keep the container's humidity up a little (but not moist - no droplets should remain for over an hour) to prevent the moth from having trouble shedding. Note that the moth may take several days to completely "dry", so try not to disturb the moth after emergence.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Okay, thank you. I do have some tulle that I can use for a lid, it is soft so it would not hurt the moth if it brushed up against it. I need to look up how long this guy will pupate for. He might over winter in the cocoon right? Or emerge in a matter of weeks?

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Usually they would overwinter around this time of year, but because you are keeping it indoors you are speeding up that process. I would maybe keep it in a refrigerator for a while (for release or breeding later) if you do not plan on using the moth for pinning and/or non-breeding environment.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Re-housed the cocoon. It is in a bigger jar with just the twigs it is attached to. Mesh top, it is actually white tulle from hobby lobby.

Does this look better?

Might let it emerge early so we can attempt pinning it, that sounds like a neat project that can be hung on the wall.

Attachments

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Is there a lid for it? I would just put the lid on gently (don't screw it on or close the airtight seal) so that there is enough ventilation while maintaining some humidity. Also, make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight. Otherwise, it looks fine to me.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Okay, thanks Jacob Ma! I will look for the lid, I cannot remember what kind of jar this was lol! It is in the kitchen on the breakfast bar, away from any windows. There is a "plant UV light" above the bar. We use it to simulate daytime for the bettas and assassin bug. I can move it away from that light.