Looking to get a second T

kevinr

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

I am looking at expanding my collection..i say collection, i currently have 1 Grammostola rosea but we all start somewhere right? :)

I visited a local reptile shop which i didnt even know existed and they had some nice spiders in, and in particular they had a 'goliath Bird eating spider' which kinda took my interest. Now I realise that so called common names are not always correct by a long mile (having kept exotic fish for years i can well remember the 'debates' in aquatic shops) but I have done a little research and what I've seen (mainly youtube vids) it does look the buisness, however, before I go in and talk to the shop assistant I would like a little more info so i at least know what I'm talking about.

I would also like some more info on the spider itself as a pet, so habitat, feeding frequency, humidty, temp etc, also, what is a reasonable price to pay for such a spider? the one mentioned above was listed as £165 and could easily wrap its legs around my outstreatched hand

I understand that its really an ornamental spider and should not really be handled as you would handle a Grammostola rosea..or am i wrong on this?

I will be researching more after I post this, but i just find it more useful to ask things in my own way, then to rely wholly on caresheets and wikipedia, so any information you can pass my way will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance all

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look up a care sheet for T. stirmi. Apparently a lot of the pet store golliath birdeaters are stirmi, not blondis. Definitely not made for handling btw.

kevinr

Arachnopeon
Look up a care sheet for T. stirmi. Apparently a lot of the pet store golliath birdeaters are stirmi, not blondis. Definitely not made for handling btw.
thanks for the reply :)

without getting closer to the T i couldnt say for sure, however, the caresheet I found was to a UK based supplier(thespidershop), and they sell the T. stirmi for alot less then this place.

Is there much difference between the species?, as their caresheets seem fairly similar

Oh, and that site I mentioned, does anyone know if they are reputable and worth dealing with?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the reply :)

without getting closer to the T i couldnt say for sure, however, the caresheet I found was to a UK based supplier(thespidershop), and they sell the T. stirmi for alot less then this place.

Is there much difference between the species?, as their caresheets seem fairly similar

Oh, and that site I mentioned, does anyone know if they are reputable and worth dealing with?
Read this:
http://sites.google.com/site/tarantuladb/care-sheets-2/theraphosa-species

It was wrote by Fran, he knows a LOT about Theraphosa. Maybe he'll chime in later.

Though my recommendation for a second T would be G. pulchripes.